Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Pearlbrook

The Universe

Pearlbrook

So, here's a big question...

How is your universe arranged? Are there realms (like Otherworld and Underworld)? How many? What are realms? What are the differences? How do you believe the universe came into being? Did the gods have anything to do with it? Is the universe infinite? Do the laws of time and space apply everywhere? Does what happens in one realm affect the others?

I think it would be really interesting to see the range of beliefs people have on here :)

I believe that there are sort of three realms, all superimposed upon each other and sharing much of the same geography. The Underworld is the realm of the dead, the middle realm is our realm of physical living beings, and the Otherworld is the realm of the gods - but things can pass backwards and forwards pretty easily and therefore the realms aren't quite as defined as the human mind would like to think. ADF encourages us to think of the realms as land, sea and sky (middle, Underworld and Otherworld) which I think is based largely on Celtic spiritualities. My ideas on the Underworld are rather more solid than my ideas on the Otherworld - I have specific beliefs about an Afterlife and what it's like there, whereas I'm not sure exactly what the Otherworld is like and what purpose it serves. I also believe that the universe is fundamentally amoral and there is no such thing as a universal objective truth.

Mods: if you don't think this is the right section for this thread, please move it! I wasn't sure where it really fitted in :)

• Like 1

Ad from Google

David Layton-Scott

Wow a big question for the holiday period (apologies to anybody who is working)

I tend to there being one universe , but there being different dimensions in it, for want of a better way of explaining it.

I think we live in one dimension, but when we pass on, our spirit or whatever you like to call it moves into a different realm/dimension, and at times these do overlap,

Thats about as far as I can think it through......

• Like 1

Moonsmith

Just the one.

but

It's quite enough for my needs.

It is sufficiently beautiful, powerful and awe inspiring to be the only deity that I need.

My perception of the universe is unique and was entirely created inside my head. I think I'm with the Buddhists on this except that I currently understand that there is a stimulus beyond me from which I have created the universe. 2015 may be the year in which I change that view as we come to understand reality.

Just like everything within my universe, that universe exists as:

It's presence;

It's absence;

It's spirit.
  • Like 1

Moonhunter

How is your universe arranged? Are there realms (like Otherworld and Underworld)? How many? What are realms? What are the differences?

Realms. maybe. Yes, I'd say Mideath, the Otherworld and the Underworld, but that those last two overlap ours. Each of those two have areas we can't access, though their citizens can access all Midearth. All we ever get is glmpses, and that's only if we have the right "settings" and aren't afraid to tune in.

How do you believe the universe came into being? Did the gods have anything to do with it? Is the universe infinite? Do the laws of time and space apply everywhere? Does what happens in one realm affect the others?

No idea. But I don't think the laws of sace and time apply universally, even in Midearth, let alone anywhere else.

• Like 2

Veggie dancer

Wow! Nice one Samhainmooncat cat :).. I will attempt to answer those questions though if you ask me I a week I will probably have some different ideas.. The only think I know for sure is that I don't know.. But it's still fun to philosophise.. So...

How is your universe arranged? Are there realms (like Otherworld and Underworld)? How many? What are realms? What are the differences?

One universe.. but I think there are things in it that we have no way of sensing at all.. And some things we can perhaps gain a mysterious glimpse or feeling of outside of our regular 5 senses. So you could think of that as other realms but I think all of whatever there is, is all together in this realm but we are not fully aware of everything around us.

How do you believe the universe came into being? Did the gods have anything to do with it?

Well the 'big bang' ... but what is that anyway and what was there before that? What caused it? ..I think perhaps the universe itself is a living organism with a life cycle of birth and death.. I think the beginning of the universe was what came out of the death of the universe, like a pheonix rising from the ashes.. Though not exactly the same as it was before.

Are there other universes? I don't know.. I can't imagine there being others and think if there is that we would not have any way of interacting with one.. But then as soon as we think we have found the limits of existence it just seems to get bigger.. So maybe..

Did gods have anything to do with it?... Well If anything is a 'GOD' the universe itself has got to count?? But a conscious decision to bring existence into being? I don't think so.. Do you decide to get born? If there are gods within the universe or if it is one itself I think the beginning and the end are things that happen to them/it and are not initiated by them/it.

Is the universe infinite? Do the laws of time and space apply everywhere? Does what happens in one realm affect the others?

Infinite? Hmmm nope... But then how can there be a physical end to it? What is beyond it? Nothing.. What the hell is that? Ha ha! I have no idea but infinite seems even more impossible... Infinite in time?.. Well as we know it also no.. But I do think the end would also be a new beginning. And that the beginning came after an end.. So in a sense yes... AGGH.. infinity it makes my brain hurt!!! but then absence of existence is sad and scary so I hope for an infinity of the cycle of beginnings and ends, birth and death.

Laws of space and time? I don't think we have a full understanding of these, we already know that at extremes in the universe like blackholes things like light and matter and time behave totally differently, whatever laws there are yep I think they apply everywhere but I don't think we know what the laws actually really are yet.

What happens in one realm effect the others? Well as I said I'm thinking along the lines of one realm in which everything is interconnected so yes, in the sense that things we can't sense or don't have full awareness of in the world are effected by the things that we are aware of.

So that's me! Today anyway ;) enjoying reading all the posts thanks for the topic Samhainmooncat!

• Like 1

Jasmin

Last I heard we were all living on a holographic plane or something, must re read the universe ina nutshell and have another ponder, but like others have mentioned I suspect there is only one and that we are not privy to all of it's secrets and probably never will be, great topic.

Guest Exdaemonus

The Universe, in my education background, I have studied QM, QFT, and others. According to some facts and figures, and statistics, the origins of the universe is not what many scientists, believed before. They are finding that there is answer, but only in the theoretical science of Quantum, based on Correction, these terms are complementing the Theory of General Relativity. And also to explain the dynamics of Dark matter, and dark energy. These have risen many problems. In the beginning they believe in the Bang Big, a easy way to describe existence of everything. They also believed in the widely accepted age of the Universe, and also used the concepts of General Relativity. They only found a believed statement, that the universe is 13.8 billion years old. That means, that everything existed, by that number. Meaning too be occupied in a single infinitely dense point, which is called Singularity. Which it reached a point, until it implode, and blow out the outer shells, of it point. That is now called the Big Bang.

In this theory, it explained only a few points of existence, now we are finding out Exoplanets (Extra solar planets), in the universe. The basic problems is the mathematics, we can do the math on what happened immediately after, but not the beginning, or before it happened. This is based on the Theory of Everything, or the singularities of everything, to be honest on this subject.

Many new models of existence has been offered, throughout physics departments. Worldwide. While our physicists, started out on Quantum correction, and applied a non-existence theory model, of whole universe. They are trying to work out how universe is today, and what was after it become into existence, by working out singularities, in vacuum. The mathematics, was correct in part, but it was stuck in a rut, to even find out the correct equation, to find the next components. They designed that placement of path, between two points, on a curved surface. This is based on Quantum trajectories, and then using the quantum-corrected theoretical mathematics. This is based on the expansion theory and also evolution of universe, and also additional equations of General relativity. Marrying both of these theories together is somewhat a nightmare, Quantum theory , and General Relativity. Even to formulate, them is a nightmare also.

Therefore, I ain't saying anymore.

• Like 1

Moonhunter

Exdaemonus, would you mind not deleting your posts? It not really part of what we do here. Many thanks! :)

• Like 1

Snufkin

Hi Exdaemonus, that's quite an in depth look at the physical (and quantum physical) nature of the universe... but what are your views of the more spiritual nature of the universe.

As one who works closely with Daemons or Entities you must have some theory of where they come from?

I kind of look at it as a multitude of levels to the universe.... kind of like the frequency on a radio. Everything is kind of in the same place at the same time (the realms of the dead, the living and the devine etc.) and under normal circumstances the frequencies don't bleed into each other... but sometimes (either through trance or ritual or too much booze) there is 'interference' on our frequency allowing us to see or even interact with the other realms.

ADF encourages us to think of the realms as land, sea and sky (middle, Underworld and Otherworld) which I think is based largely on Celtic spiritualities

Both the OBOD and BDO also deal with the land, sea and sky as an analogy for the three realms which may have inspired the Abrahamic religions ideas of Hell, Earth and Heaven.

As for the question of infinity... I think that space may be infinite, but matter is finite... so beyond the edge of physical universe (the place where matter and energy exists) there is an infinite sea of nothing.

I have also read a theory that the whole of existence is curved and the further you travel in an apparently straight line away from any point the more you are in fact turning. with this theory there would be a point where you have started to spiral back on yourself and you end up heading back to the point where you stated (kind of like a big cosmic boomerang).

Edited by Snufkin
  • Like 5

Ellinas

Not sure how I missed this thread previously.

Anyhow, my universe is arranged by Mrs E...

More seriously (though no-one is allowed to tell her that) I accept the concept of a physical "here and now" existence and some sort of "other" of unknown quality. The unifying aspect is the universality and continuation of consciousness.

Ideas of hell, hades etc are ultimately just ways of picturing that "other". I have no firm conception of any division within that realm and so do not bother speculating.

fizzyclare1

So there's the physical world that we all inhabit and then there is the inner world,niur own personal realities. And this is where it all gets a bit blurred for me.

There's my past: my family/ancestors and so on. There's my memories. And then there's deity. I'd say that deity gave me a greater integration of my inner world (and I can't really explain how but it's to do with my grandparents and reconnection following PTSD)..An element of that includes healing mentally. And I am thankful for that.

• Like 1

summerland

ALL VERY INTERESTING BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE COMMENT ABOUT DELETING POSTS [EVEN WITH THE SMILING FACE]

Moonhunter

Summerland, would you mind not writing in caps, please? On the internet it's shouting. :) If you have a problem with a moderation comment, would you take it up with a moderator by PM? Many thanks. :)

Fortuna

I think there is the physical Universe that we see and hear and smell and understand to exist through observation. This is not only expanding physically, but gets bigger the more we come to understand it. It even gets bigger when we discover that there is something we don't yet understand. I believe it came about through some process we don't, and maybe never will fully understand.

I see no evidence for deities or different realms (although there may well be alternate universes or different dimensions we just don't know about).

There is also the inner universe. How we, as self aware beings, relate to the universe around us. This is, in some ways, no different from the physical universe as it is the product of our brain..... one of the universe's most complex creations.

I thing, as I get older, the Universe I inhabit gets harder to understand, but easier to experience if you know what I mean. The older I grow, the more I realise I simply don't have enough time to get beyond "WOW" before flickering out. Perhaps coming to this understanding enables me to be content with the Universe as it is and to thank it for coming together to create my consciousness for the briefest of moments. To thank it for giving me "WOW"

Blimey, I think I need to lie down for a bit.

Mike

• Like 3

Earthdragon

How do you say thanks to the Universe, Mike? :-)

Best

ED

Fortuna

I say "thanks"!

Earthdragon

OK. :-)

Is there some way that you perceive that your sentiment is recieved or is saying "thanks" simply a transmission of sentiment that you do for your own sake?

I think you spoke about moving towards Pantheism so I'm just seeing where this fits in with that...?

Best

ED

Fortuna

I don't think I'm saying thanks as I would to a person or entity as such. I think it is more an expression of my own sense of gratitude than a specific attempt to actually make the Universe understand my gratitude. I am the universe and not separate from it, so my feeling of gratitude is the universe too. In me and you, the Universe has found a way to know and experience itself.

I think seeing the Universe as divine feels acceptable to me. At least it makes more sense to me than the idea of deities as separate entities. I think this might be what I meant by not having enough time. How on Earth are we supposed to work these things out in a single lifetime.

• Like 3

Ellinas

Well, some of might be tempted to say you won't. That's why this is likely neither your first nor your last.

Just out of pure devilment, of course...

ShadowWalker

Well, some of might be tempted to say you won't. That's why this is likely neither your first nor your last.

Just out of pure devilment, of course...

I feel a whole different thread coming on here... :P

Interesting posts and responses! Someone threw the multiverse theory at me today at work - just to add to the devilry. I've added a link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

summerland

i didnt mean to shout ? i am new to computer speak it was a genuine enquiry as i didnt want to make the same mistake; if i was challenging a moderator i can assure you i would make it very clear and would probably have the plug pulled on me.

Guest Satanistwithwit

Universe. My views. A giant arena, like the roman times. With a lot of other civilizations of past and present are out there, beyond our understanding, I think. I do believe their are advanced civilizations out there. I do believe their are different magics and energies out there, maybe. After reading some books on the subject, I was interested in Alien/ species, Civilizations, or something of that subject. Basically i do not know what the Fuck I am talking about. So i stop .. :unsure: :o_headscratch: :o_loony: :o_embarrased:

Is the world flat? :o_headscratch: :o_loony: :o_bolt:

Edited by Satanistwithwit

Fortuna

Is the world flat?

No ;)

• Like 2

Ellinas

... unless we're on the Discworld.

Feels like it sometimes.

• Like 1