Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Helen Lea

How Did Your Partners/family Deal With Paganism?

Ellinas

Isrith - of course. I'm not that devoid of a sense of humour! It's a little dry and occasionally comes over as a tad cynical, but don't take everything (or not necessarily even anything) that I say seriously...

• Like 3

Ad from Google

Th0rnW1tch

My family are very loosely Christian. And i mean very loose, they believe God created the Earth, they believe in Jesus, but for the most part they don't really bother about it. Mum used to be a bit worried about it, mostly because she had no idea what was involved, but when she found out it was mostly me chanting, burning incense and candles and tinkering with mojo bags etc she decided it was nothing to worry about. I won't deny that i get some funny looks at family gatherings but on the whole as long as you buy your round the family isn't too worried what you get up to.

As for partners, well my first boyfriend was a Kabbalistic High Mage, prone to jumping me whenever i'd emerge from the altar room. I've had boyfriends who did not want to know, boyfriends who had no opinion one way or another, and a couple of boyfriends who were madly turned on by it. The reactions have all been positive or neutral. Gods help the first boyfriend i have who has a problem with my Witchery because he won't be a boyfriend for long.

• Like 1

Capricorn

I have been very lucky in that I come from a totally non-religious parental family. Not anti-religious or militant atheist or anything like that, just religion was a non-entity as far as my parents and my upbringing was concerned. I have been "wyrd" from early on and was very in-your-face as teenager; so at age 13/14 I was known as witch and feminist at school. (Needless to say I was a total outsider and loner, which suited me well enough.)

My first partner knew me as Pagan and Witch -- the latter scared him though. My OH knew also from the beginning that I am Pagan and a Witch -- I could not live with anybody who is not comfortable with me being me. Like Pomona's hubby, mine wasn't Pagan to begin with, but grew into being one rather naturally; he also isn't the theistic, cultivating type -- in that he's totally different to me. I have been through a lot of soul-searching and path-finding during the 10 years we have been together, and at that has been not always easy for him. Everyone who's close to me knows I'm a [Hindu] Shakta and Roman-Germanic Pagan. (Only my partner and very close friends know I'm a witch, though.) My son's school knows I raise him in Hindu and Pagan way, as we have exempted him from RE -- on his own insistence -- and now I have to provide him with "religious educational material" for the weekly RE lesson to work through on his own, which he's surprisingly happy to do. Some people at work know I'm Hindu (because they asked) but really there's no real understanding for anything which is not either christian or non-religious, and I don't bother. I'm really glad I have nothing to do with religious people. Not that I have a problem with them living their way -- live and let live -- but I couldn't be bothered with their "concerns" and attempts of conversion as I hear from Pagans who do have those problems.

• Like 1

fizzyclare1

lol, yeah, my legs are pretty worn out now from all that dancing!

• Like 1

Isrith
lol, yeah, my legs are pretty worn out now from all that dancing!

Hahahah :D

geoffp

Seeing as I was born into an Evangelical Christian family with my parents as the ministers, any deviation from the one true God was going to be difficult.

My dad has been dead 25 years now but mum is still God fearing Blood and Fire & temperence believer so it not a subject i bring up as I have no wish to cause her further grief as leaving the Church was bad enough.

My token gesture was to make a comment on facebook that i'm now following a Heathen Path. I tried to make it lighter by suggesting honouring the Gods by feasting and merrymaking seemed a great way of practicing religion.