Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

In Need Of Some Guidance And Advice

Guest DogMan

I don't really know where to start but I will try to explain my thoughts as they are.

I'm a 25 year old man. I was raised as a moderate Roman Catholic: I went to a Catholic school, had mass a few times a week, had my holy communion, went to church on the special days like X-mas, Easter, Baptisms and funerals. I never believed it and I always had a dislike/repulsion for the God of the Bible. I left primary school at the age of 10 a self proclaimed atheist through and through due to the dislike I felt to organised religion although deep down I always thought there was more, as I grew older I began to realise I didn't have a problem with spirituality, but large organised religions and I changed my mindset to that of a sceptical agnostic.

I have always been interested in Pagan religions/spirituality - I have an affinity for nature, I feel at home in the woods, country side and wilder places of the world, but due to my deep-seated dislike of religion I ignored it and just said I loved nature, the world and the universe. I also love science, cold sterile science but I also believe there is a huge amount we do not know that science has not taught us yet and may never do so.

An experience I had when I was younger that I have never been able to shake as well a recent near death experience (Heart attack of unknown cause) has allowed me to shed the barriers I had erected against my own spirituality and start exploring something I have wanted to explore for a long time.

I have some questions and would love to hear others stances and opinions to help guide me forward on my journey which I am still quite hesitant to start.

- What does thwapped mean?

- If I feel I have been chosen by a deity am I meant to tell other people or is it disrespectful to said deity?

- I had a dream about 5 or 6 years ago which I still remember and has stuck with me ever since and always will - is it bad to share this with other people? I want to share it but I don't know if I should (it's nothing bad, but I think its when I was chosen and I have wanted to talk to others about it for years!!!)

- Is being a Medium anything to do with Paganism? I have been told by a medium that I "have the gift" - all very interesting

- How do I start? I'm very analytical and critical, but also really open minded; is this a bad mix for matters of faith and belief?

Thank you and I apologise for such a long post!

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I've come across the word, but it's not a pagan term. You could Google for it. :)

- If I feel I have been chosen by a deity am I meant to tell other people or is it disrespectful to said deity?

I've not heard of a god telling someone not to talk about them. Though, having said that, I have come across a god who is a bit reserved. But it depends on the god. You'd have to ask him or her.

- I had a dream about 5 or 6 years ago which I still remember and has stuck with me ever since and always will - is it bad to share this with other people? I want to share it but I don't know if I should (it's nothing bad, but I think its when I was chosen and I have wanted to talk to others about it for years!!!)

that's up to you. :) some people are more reserved than others. If you want to ask for others if they wish to offer an interpretation, you could post it in the snug. or, if you simply want to describe it, using the blogging facility of the site would be more appropriate.

- Is being a Medium anything to do with Paganism? I have been told by a medium that I "have the gift" - all very interesting

some pagans are also mediums, though it's rare. Most mediums I've come across aren't pagan. Have you tried a Spiritualist church?

- How do I start? I'm very analytical and critical, but also really open minded; is this a bad mix for matters of faith and belief?

I think it's a good mix. A large dose of scepticism is healthy. There are too many fraudsters out there, spinning tales for their own aggrandisement.

• Like 2

I haven't tried a spiritualist church, I don't know if I'd like to but I may well end up visiting one someday if the compulsion takes me.

I will use the snug as I would love to share it and have some help interpreting it.

Thank you :)

I don't really know where to start but I will try to explain my thoughts as they are.

I'm a 25 year old man. I was raised as a moderate Roman Catholic: I went to a Catholic school, had mass a few times a week, had my holy communion, went to church on the special days like X-mas, Easter, Baptisms and funerals. I never believed it and I always had a dislike/repulsion for the God of the Bible. I left primary school at the age of 10 a self proclaimed atheist through and through due to the dislike I felt to organised religion although deep down I always thought there was more, as I grew older I began to realise I didn't have a problem with spirituality, but large organised religions and I changed my mindset to that of a sceptical agnostic.

I have always been interested in Pagan religions/spirituality - I have an affinity for nature, I feel at home in the woods, country side and wilder places of the world, but due to my deep-seated dislike of religion I ignored it and just said I loved nature, the world and the universe. I also love science, cold sterile science but I also believe there is a huge amount we do not know that science has not taught us yet and may never do so.

An experience I had when I was younger that I have never been able to shake as well a recent near death experience (Heart attack of unknown cause) has allowed me to shed the barriers I had erected against my own spirituality and start exploring something I have wanted to explore for a long time.

I have some questions and would love to hear others stances and opinions to help guide me forward on my journey which I am still quite hesitant to start.

Thwapped is a word I've heard of but I'm unsure of it's legitimacy. It basically means 'touched by a deity'. Long and short of it.

I wouldn't say it was disrespectful but always be mindful. I agree with what MH says on this.

It's your choice whether to share - but here we are pretty open minded so I doubt it would be a bad thing.

I don't know about being a medium - it depends on whether that sort of thing fits under your 'UPG' - or personal umbrella of what you define your paganism as.

I can't answer how you should start - I'm not you. Just put the feelers out there and see what happens.

If you wanna talk or have any more questions I'm just a message away.

Waes Hael DM.

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome.

I did a Google search of Thwapped, if "urban dictionary" is right I definitely do no want to be Thwapped...

On the topic of being a medium I'm not sure if I believe in that but I find it very interesting, and as I have no experience of it I like to keep an open mind.

I think you're correct on how to start, its nice to find something like this where you can make your own way at your own pace with no strict/orthodox rules, but as great as that is it makes it very hard to get going! haha, but I understand and realise it's my path and I have to take the steps myself, I think signing up to this forum has been a helpful first step.

I did UD the word as well - I had myself a little chuckle at the thought of just posting that for you and nothing else - but I'm not that cruel.

RE being a medium - give it thought, see where it falls or doesn't fall and just go from there.

It really is the only thing you can do, it's your belief system and I would never tell you or anyone else what to think or how to think. Yes, the valley is a useful tool :)

Waes Hael.

I've never come across thwapping before, and will leave that to one side.

For the rest, it's worth remembering that a meaningful relationship with a deity is two way. Tell us as much or as little as you feel is appropriate. By all means ask that deity for guidance if you so wish. But the responsibility for any action you take is yours - just as the motivation or needs behind it. Personally, I would not be overly impressed by a deity that seeks to demand secrecy.

The only person know with mediumistic tendencies identifies as pagan, has talked about her past connections with spiritualists, and I tend to regard as a sort of Hinduistic, Buddhistic nature worshiping something or other. If you are a medium, so be it. Doesn't mean you have to be anything else specific.

Oh, and I like a bit of analysis. Keeps your feet on the ground.

• Like 1

I've never come across thwapping before, and will leave that to one side.

For the rest, it's worth remembering that a meaningful relationship with a deity is two way. Tell us as much or as little as you feel is appropriate. By all means ask that deity for guidance if you so wish. But the responsibility for any action you take is yours - just as the motivation or needs behind it. Personally, I would not be overly impressed by a deity that seeks to demand secrecy.

The only person know with mediumistic tendencies identifies as pagan, has talked about her past connections with spiritualists, and I tend to regard as a sort of Hinduistic, Buddhistic nature worshiping something or other. If you are a medium, so be it. Doesn't mean you have to be anything else specific.

Oh, and I like a bit of analysis. Keeps your feet on the ground.

Indeed, it's good to have some grounding. Not too much though, else you never get anywhere! I've definitely found that. WH Ellinas.

Okaaay, well I'd never hard if that in any context. Surely no one uses that as a word for being contacted by a deity for fear people will think they mean the urban dictionary version? Lol, hopefully if a deity wants to make contact with me they I'll be able to get my attention without resorting to that! He he

I am no expert at all in deities but I don't think its disrespectful, but I think it is wise to be careful about who you talk to about it. The valley is a good place to share things I think if you want to get opinions or compare experiences. You can always personal message people if there is someone particular you want to talk to about something too, if the main forums seem too public.

I imagine if you are someone sensitive to the spiritual side of things you might have a talent for being a medium (I'm not a medium so I'm guessing) and you might also be sensitive to the living spirits of people and animals and plants and gods or other unseen beings. You don't have to be a medium to be pagan but you can be both and it seems an organic match to me.

I think it's a healthy mindset. I'm pretty similar :)

How do you start? Well research things you feel drawn to/ interested in looking up. Don't worry if you don't agree with everything you read about paganism (you won't!) just focus on things that inspire you or make sense to you. Also remember what it was drew you to paganism in the first place... Your walks in the woods? If you start feeling too confused go back to the root if it all, whatever that is, cultivate those feelings, enjoy the research but don't get bogged down in it.

:)

• Like 1

My views, for what they're worth. :o_wink2:

I'd never come across this term, sorry! Now I've looked it up......weeeeell I have had that sensation - sort of - from a god I have a relationship with. Think of an old fashioned teacher who might thump or poke you to get your attention (Old Wilkie in the Jennings books comes to mind - reveals my age!). It's not a pagan term, though.

I've never been told not to tell anyone (nor know of anyone who has) , but I wouldn't rule out the possibility. Some gods are more reserved than others (like people). Depends on the god. I would say that if the god doesn't want you to talk about it, that will be explicit. If nothing is said, it's fine to tell people. Whether you want to talk about it is a whole other question and entirely up to you.

I tend to associate mediums with spiritualism and Christianity, but I don't think that paganism and being a medium is mutually exclusive. Pagans tend not to be mediums in the "Doris Stokes" sense - in my experience anyway; but there are pagans who are sensitive to the supernatural.

Absolutely not! I'd say that it's an excellent starting point. As for what to do, my advice would be to research everything and anything you feel interested in and see what draws you in. Read and ask questions - lots of questions! We like questions here - you'll probably get a lot of different answers though!

Thwapped is a word I've heard of but I'm unsure of it's legitimacy. It basically means 'touched by a deity'. Long and short of it.

so where I and my friends tend to say "hit with a piece of two by four" someone else has used the word thwapped? :)

so where I and my friends tend to say "hit with a piece of two by four" someone else has used the word thwapped? :)

Someone yes - I have no idea who though. I'd only read of it once on a blog somewhere a few months back, i think it's a slang term. Seeing as it was used in the context of 'I think Odin thwapped me the other day, and now i'm noticing him a bit more' I can only assume that is what was meant. :)

I sincerely hope it's that meaning anyway.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. You're not alone :)

Entirely up to you. Feeling called by / attracted to a specific deity may imply you either feel you have a lot in common with, or could learn a lot from study of that deity. Don't feel you have to swap your catholic god for a pagan god - that's (mostly) not how it works; many would say the gods are simply different aspects of the one 'whole'. But, as with everything, everyone has their own ideas :)

Why would you not share? Unless, it's deeply personal. Do whatever feels right.

As others have said, typically not related but you'll find people who use both labels.

Read books, read blogs, watch youtube - I guess. Don't be afraid to use your analytical skills to see through the 'woo' (there's a lot of it about).

Happy to help. The main rule is, there are no rules. Spend time researching things that interest you, discard any 'fluff' you think is irrelevant and find your own path, whatever that may be :)

Edited by thespirit3
  • Like 1