Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Briton

Earth's Elegy For Winter

Guest Briton

This is a portion from a larger poem I am still writing. The full poem is part of a story-telling mythology, not to be taken literally, or even metaphorically, rather it is a story of why the seasons are what they are. The full poem which I will post in time, is about the cycle of the year and is going to be nine verses long, four of which are laments, by the Earth, about the seasons' ends. They will make more sense in context.

Winter knew me well,

deeper than any other.

Her frost pierced me,

my face, my soul,

my subterranean catacombs,

but she never loved me.

She only took, she killed, she diminished,

I am torn, I have never felt such intimacy.

Why was it her, of all of them?

I hate her, for what she has done to me,

but I love her, I miss her so, I pine for her.

Winter knew me well,

deeper than any other.

• Like 2

Ad from Google

Hephaestus

I like it. There's definitely lots of potential in exploring the seasons in that manner, since it'll enable you to explore the underlying 'meaning' of the seasons, as opposed to the mere surface appearance of them (snow, bare branches, etc).

On another note, despite the fact that it's imaginative/fictional, it may also be of religious use to you- in helping you to better contemplate the meaning of the Wheel of the Year, for example. For instance, it may be useful to read/contemplate this on or around the day of Yule/the Winter Solstice, in order to eke out further ruminations upon the meaning of that event.

Guest Briton

I like it. There's definitely lots of potential in exploring the seasons in that manner, since it'll enable you to explore the underlying 'meaning' of the seasons, as opposed to the mere surface appearance of them (snow, bare branches, etc).

On another note, despite the fact that it's imaginative/fictional, it may also be of religious use to you- in helping you to better contemplate the meaning of the Wheel of the Year, for example. For instance, it may be useful to read/contemplate this on or around the day of Yule/the Winter Solstice, in order to eke out further ruminations upon the meaning of that event.

Thanks, these are good points. I will no doubt write more, separately, for the solstices and equinoxes. I've written pages on the relationships between the Sun, Moon and Earth, and how this has come to affect the weather and seasons and the circadian rhythm. If I can find it, I may type it up.

• Like 1

fizzyclare1

That's good stuff :)

Guest Briton

Thanks! I'm actually halfway through the poem now, having finished summer and its elegy.

• Like 1

fizzyclare1

I've been doin quite a bit of poetry lately, which is boomin odd cos poems just isn't my thing :D

Guest Briton

I used to write teen angst crap mostly, back in the day. I'm glad I have a new, more original muse!

fizzyclare1

Lol, didn't alot of us do that.... (Cringe)

ShadowWalker

I like it! You going to put out all versions as one when it is finished? :)

Wish I could write, it's not my forté by any stretch,

WH Briton

fizzyclare1

Yes please :)

Guest Briton

Definitely, I just wanted to see what people thought first :) get a sense of my audience!

Sorry what does WH mean?

Guest Briton

OK so it is now up :) thanks for listening! Or reading, in this instance. I'll be back with more, in time.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this