Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

What Am I ? Lol

Guest RiverNorth

Hi all. Started out being interested in learning about wicca the beginning of November. But the more I read and pick up, the more confused I get.

I do have deities but not for worship. To me they are teachers and guides. And a go-between between me and a higher energy.

Have read about casting a circle but think meh, not for me. Don't think it's necessary for communing/ meditating with the deities.

I do believe in honouring the earth and the elements.

I am interested in spell work - although I haven't done any yet (you don't drive on a motorway without at least looking at the high way code lol)

And I want to learn about using oils and crystals and runes.

So does that mean I am more pagan witch than pagan wiccan ??

Don't NEED a title. But it would help when finding resources to learn more.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Most pagans don't follow a pre-defined path such as Heathenry, Kemeticism (or any other pre-Christian religion). Even fewer are part of an authentic Wiccan coven. Most are content to be the pagans they are. :)

If yu're new to paganism, why not just spend a few years following some of the things that interest you? At the end of that time, you might have a label, or you might not. But you will have a clearer idea of what you believe. ;)

Welcome to the forum, RiverNorth! I understand where you're coming from with needing to know what talks to you more 'cos I'm the same. Just being Pagan was enough for me to begin with until Heathenry came looking for me recently. Maybe have a read through Starters Orders and take it from there? This is my main go-to site for all things Pagany now so I hope you find it as helpful as I have!

• Like 1

There is so much shallow material in the public domain, concerning wicca and it has little of the energy and vibrancy of a true Wiccan path (I use the capital "W" on purpose there). Wicca is an experiential mystery tradition which means that you cannot read, learn and understand in general about an experience nor, indeed, can a mystery be explained. Why? Because each individual experiences the mystery individually and we are each unique and unlike any other :) thus are our experiences individual! What you can read about in books and on the internet, is some of the practices of the Wiccan Craft, even rituals and charges and so on. However, that is absolutely not the same as actually experiencing the practice within a Wiccan circle amongst initiated people!

From my POV, as an initiated Wiccan, I can only say that just reading the stuff that is readily available must, in the end, become totally boring and dry! Actually practising the Craft is a whole different matter.

I don't worship my gods, either - and in the Wiccan context, we do not do so - we honour and respect them and sometimes invite them to assist in making magic - not that making magic always requires deity.

As for casting circles .... for us it creates a sacred space within which to work - part of the parameters of the Craft which we practice. However, it is not always necessary and certainly, magic does not have to be done from within the circle nor does the whole coven have to be gathered in order to do magic!

I have written here from my own experience - each Wiccan coven is autonomous and even within the various traditions, practices vary within the general framework of the Craft in small ways.

I wish you well as you do your research - you are already on your path - from birth to death - it is what experiences and learning you bring along the way, that makes it your own and you don't need a label although you may find others who walk a similar path with you :)

• Like 1

So basically go with your heart and what feels right for ME. Just don't want to be seen as fake or a " charlatan " by going against what someone else considers to be "the one true path". It's my journey. I must do it my way to be true to myself.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Exactly that..... don't let anyone label you, or tell you that you must do things a certain way....

Just follow your heart....

And learn to trust your feelings to guide you on your journey, everything else will soon come together and make sense..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone identifies the one true path I suggest you move heaven and earth to avoid both that person and that path.

There was a discussion about worship a couple of months back. It rather left me with the impression that one person's having a chat = another person's learning from a guide = yet another person's worship. Don't get hung up on terminology. If you and your deities are happy with the way you relate, not much else matters in that context.

For the rest, learn and go where your path takes you. It's entirely possible it will end up being in a direction that you haven't even thought of yet. The labels are a luxury, and I rather suspect rarely fit perfectly (after all, speaking personally, I accept that some would regard a non-reconstructionist Hellene as a contradiction in terms; my answer to such would be a more or less polite version of "get stuffed" depending on how they voice their objection...)

All of which is a long way of saying that the first and last two sentences of your last post are entirely correct.

• Like 3

Hey River north. i agree with what they all said. :)

I understand your confusion, theres so much to discover isnt there? And lots of rubbish to wade through in your search for what clicks for you. And learning just doesnt seem to happen fast enough when you find something that excites you and you have the enthusiasm and dont know where to look, you want to be doing it, 'practicing' your religion so to speak.

Ive found some useful reading recommendations here at the valley and learned plenty in discussions too. But also, dont get bogged down in the reading and research, focus on whatever it was that set you on this path, inspired your paganism in the first place. Dont loose sight of that spiritual connection/ inspiration

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Follow your heart, and also your mind. If you feel comfortable in a path, feel free to follow it. You will find yourself, and even notice other Qualities of your life force. You may even find out you can read Tarot, runes or even other magicks. Witchcraft is unique, and very interesting. It is free to research other paths too, so you can either study one or more. No matter what it is. Every Witch is different and unique, and each individual is different. What clicks, is what you make of it, and hard work is also additional to your studies. What you put in, you will reap the awards. Good Luck on your journey. Enjoy your search, and if you feel something on a subject or magick, follow your heart, and try it. If you get stuck, this is good place for advice, and guidance.

Dark Blessings

• Like 1