Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Hedera

How Does Witchcraft Work? (And Many Other Questions)

Hedera

-How do spells work?

-How does casting a spell on the 4th affect the 5th?

-How do crystals, herbs, and candles change life physically?

-Is there a way of going into 'detail' on step by step what happens between you casting a spell and the spell working?

-Or if there is any deep significance in the set up of an altar?

-What in the universe receives our intent? Does it pick it up as brain waves? Do the crystals and herbs emit frequencies that let the universe know that this is our desire?

-And how does it acknowledge our words word-for-word?

-Sigils. So writing your intent in a picture causes that drawing to give off the desired effect?

-Tarot. How do plastic/paper cards randomly snd accurately diving the future?

-Is witchcraft all in the mind or does it become physical?

1. If I don't get a question to one of these answers, I must choose to go on and do it anyways without that knowledge or unfortunately withdraw from it altogether until I've found the answer.

2. And the answer may never be found.

The answer I have gotten is "Witchcraft is manipulating energy in the universe and driving it towards your intent".

I'm not sure how satisfied I am with that answer, will I ever get an answer to those questions?

Maybe I'm being too scientific. Too skeptical. Maybe I need to just go with it. I don't know.

Does anybody have any insight on these questions please?

Ad from Google

Fortuna

-How do spells work?

I don't think they do

Don't think it can

They don't. They might change the mind which in turn can change life physically.

-Is there a way of going into 'detail' on step by step what happens between you casting a spell and the spell working?

I have asked this many times and never got an answer which I found convincing.

-What in the universe receives our intent? Does it pick it up as brain waves? Do the crystals and herbs emit frequencies that let the universe know that this is our desire?

How a stone or a plant can act as an intermediary between a human and some unprovable characteristic of the universe would be very difficult to prove or demonstrate.

-Sigils. So writing your intent in a picture causes that drawing to give off the desired effect?

How can it? It is ink and paper. the only thing which can cause an effect is the mind of the person drawing the sigil. If a being with a complex brain cannot cause an effect how can some ink and a bit of paper achieve this.

Absolutely they can't....... paper and plastic cannot do this. Many of those practising divination do not claim that the cards so any such thing..... it is more a case of using cards (or runes, smoke, birds, entrails, coals drumming) to alter one's mental state and divine things formerly hidden.

Isn't everything in the mind at the end of the day?

You will not get answers which will satisfy you. At the end of the day, those who practice Witchcraft do not need to justify themselves or their experiences to anyone. I am personally very sceptical about magic, but find it hard to marry my own scepticism to the earnest, honourable and trustworthy people who do practise the craft. It doesn't bother me. I cannot work magic for people if they ask me......... but I know a man or woman who does!

• Like 3

Hedera

You will not get answers which will satisfy you. At the end of the day, those who practice Witchcraft do not need to justify themselves or their experiences to anyone. I am personally very sceptical about magic, but find it hard to marry my own scepticism to the earnest, honourable and trustworthy people who do practise the craft. It doesn't bother me. I cannot work magic for people if they ask me......... but I know a man or woman who does!

Interesting...

I would like to know, what do you believe in then? What brought you to this site?

Moonhunter

-How do spells work?

You'll get a number of answers, all of which will be the manipulation of something. The something may be in the spell, in the witch or in the gods, according to the preferences of the person.

Sometimes it takes less time, sometimes more.

They don't. IMO. I use herbs and may use candles, as a focus. I tend to avoid crystals for the same reason I avoid fur - destruction of the environment.

Don't understand the question. If you mean, how does the spell work, I'd be tempted to ask in return: how does thought work? How do you come to be self-aware? if you can answer that, then someone might be able to give a step by step explantion for how magic works. ;)

No. Altars are nothing to do with witchcraft. Altars are to do with religion. Witchcraft is not religion.

What in the universe receives our intent?

that depends on your beliefs. Every one who practices magic (and many pagans don't) is likely to give you a different answer, according to their religion/beliefs.

-Sigils. So writing your intent in a picture causes that drawing to give off the desired effect? -Tarot. How do plastic/paper cards randomly snd accurately diving the future?

The sigil is a token. As are cards. You can use anything for divining. the divining does not rest in the cards, nor the spell in the symbol.

1. If I don't get a question to one of these answers, I must choose to go on and do it anyways without that knowledge or unfortunately withdraw from it altogether until I've found the answer.

You will only get other people's opinions. Their opinions have no more authority than your own.

• Like 5

Maeve

The simplest and most straightforward answer to all your questions is: only the gods know!

IME over many years, magic and spells do work but not on every occasion for we are still human and can fail in one aspect or another, to do what is needed! I have seen spectacular results and no results and something everywhere in between. Some would say all magic is coincidence and also all coincidence is magic ...

Witchcraft is not a scientific process nor can it be learned by rote or from books - and my practice of it and also of my religion is experiential ... I could no more tell you how the spell that works actually works than fly to the moon! However, in certain circumstances, I could practice with you and maybe you would see a result ....

If you must have definitive answers to your questions (which I very much doubt you will ever get), then the practice of magic / witchcraft is not for you! If you are prepared to "suck it and see .." then, maybe it will all work out for you :P

• Like 4

Pomona

I'm with Maeve on this. I could answer each question but I doubt it'd shed any greater insight for you on questions which ultimately only you can answer to your satisfaction :). The proofs and answers you reasonably demand are the same questions we all ask and we all reach different conclusions. What does your gut tell you?

• Like 1

Ellinas

I'm lacking time at present to put any detail in a post - and I am not a witch so cannot speak for practitioners of witchcraft as such.

However, have a think along these lines:

Rather ironically, Fortuna has hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head by saying: "Isn't everything in the mind at the end of the day?"

Your mind contains your version of reality. Therefore, change your mind, change your perception, you change your version of reality. This, at least, explains the use of magic for purposes of personal transformation. And that can provide a very powerful motivation to act (even unconsciously) in a way that effects general or objective reality. If you then add in concepts of non-physical possibilities of cause and effect (and you must decide for yourself what you think in relation to those) and all sorts of potential consequences present themselves.

I may return to this at greater leisure.

Fortuna

Interesting...

I would like to know, what do you believe in then? What brought you to this site?

Lol. Well I've seen crows, so I believe in them, and I eaten cabbage so I believe in them..... :)

Seriously though, I believe in loads of things. Eclipses, rivers, forests, the sea, the phases of the moon. Childbirth, music, art, ancestors, honour, friendship, honesty, human kindness, human suffering, love, cruelty. The seasons, the tides. Light and dark. life and death.

There is a lot more to being Pagan than believing in Magic or Deity, although I appreciate these things are possibly central to the path of many Pagans. There are many Pagans for whom magic and witchcraft don't feature. Many Pagans don't have altars. There are a growing number of atheistic Pagans who base their spiritual path around the rhythms of the natural World. Just as it is a mistake to assume that all Pagans honour and revere nature, it is also a mistake to assume that all Pagans honour Deity. I love science and what it has told us about the universe.

The day the use of crystals is considered central to Paganism is the day I drop the label.

All the best.

Mike

• Like 5

Finn Mac Morn

Lol. Well I've seen crows, so I believe in them, and I eaten cabbage so I believe in them..... :)

Seriously though, I believe in loads of things. Eclipses, rivers, forests, the sea, the phases of the moon. Childbirth, music, art, ancestors, honour, friendship, honesty, human kindness, human suffering, love, cruelty. The seasons, the tides. Light and dark. life and death.

There is a lot more to being Pagan than believing in Magic or Deity, although I appreciate these things are possibly central to the path of many Pagans. There are many Pagans for whom magic and witchcraft don't feature. Many Pagans don't have altars. There are a growing number of atheistic Pagans who base their spiritual path around the rhythms of the natural World. Just as it is a mistake to assume that all Pagans honour and revere nature, it is also a mistake to assume that all Pagans honour Deity. I love science and what it has told us about the universe.

The day the use of crystals is considered central to Paganism is the day I drop the label.

All the best.

Mike

Yup....this for me too.....but then you all knew that didn't you lol

Freydis

Hear, hear.

I honour the gods, but magic and witchcraft are not integral to my path (Heathenry) and I don't practice them or believe in them in the sense that many pagans do. I'd say that the majority of Heathens don't practice magic.

You'll hear the crash as I drop the label just behind you..........

Ellinas

Right, a selection of brief answers to the specific questions;

-How do spells work?

See my views at #7 ante

See my views at #7 ante. The timing of results is as flexible as you are.

They can be pretty/taste and smell nice. They can effect mood. That can help concentration.

Only speculatively. Your speculation is as good as mine...

The significance is whatever, and as profound as, you decide it is.

If you believe in deities/spirits, then they are one answer. If you believe in a living universe that is concerned about little us, then it is perfectly possible to postulate some sort of response. Personally, I accept the concept of deities and spirits; by and large, however, I think our desires work themselves out through our own psyches.

-And how does it acknowledge our words word-for-word?

I'm not sure I understand this question.

It's another form of encapsulating and concentrating your intention into a symbolic form. The drawing does nothing. Your mind does - with the drawing as a a point of reference.

They don't. They give a series of random symbols that help the mind to consider possibilities outside of normal thought patterns.

See my views at #7 ante

You don't need to know how an engine works to drive a car.

2. And the answer may never be found.

Correct. At least, not an answer that satisfies you. That's the fun...

The answer I have gotten is "Witchcraft is manipulating energy in the universe and driving it towards your intent".

I'm not sure how satisfied I am with that answer, will I ever get an answer to those questions?

No idea.

Maybe I'm being too scientific. Too skeptical. Maybe I need to just go with it. I don't know.

Nothing wrong with science provided that it accepts that things may exist despite being currently inexplicable. Nothing wrong with scepticism provided it applies itself to itself as well. Why not go with it regardless of how scientific or sceptical your thoughts? Anything's possible, nothing's certain - just enjoy the ride.

Does anybody have any insight on these questions please?

Speaking for myself - no insights. Only opinions.

Hope some of that makes sense...

Edited by Ellinas
  • Like 5

Ethereal

Flash warning: This is only my opinion and should be taken or left as you see fit.

The questions you have asked may all be relevant, but IMO are the wrong questions to ask first.

Do you feel that magic has a place in your life/within your path?

Do you feel drawn to practice and learn magic?

Do you feel that there is something more 'out there' (be it Deity, consciousness etc)?

Why does paganism resonate with you?

Begin with these questions, seek the answers within yourself, through contemplation, meditation, trance or whatever method works best for you.

You hold all of the answers you seek.

Ethe

• Like 2