Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Lost In The Web....

Guest Nath

Ok.. Well, im a 26 year old male, have "picked up and put down" Paganism/Wicca since I was around 13, I'd never really known anything about the subject until I stumbled across a book in a charity shop window, i spotted it and baught it there and then without a second thought, I have since read various works by various people of various paths, such as Viv Crowley, G.Gardiner, Maxine Sanders, Alex Sanders, Anton LaVey, A.Crowley, any many many more.

For the past year of so I have kind of followed a Buddhist path, but deep down, its not for me, it's a beautiful way of life, but yet I felt empty, i again looked to Paganism, mainly after finding my beautiful pentacle on a chain at the back of a draw lol.

Anyway, I have never really stuck to Paganism due to always becoming lost and tangled in a Web of paths, gods, goddesses, views and opinions, the confusion of some following the same path but worshiping different dieties, etc.

I had looked to Buddhism due to its humble simplicity and meditation, a path of self discovery, i find this very attractive, but still look to Paganism which I know deep down will provide the above and more, but feel guidance and advice is the best place for me to restart.

I do not know a single Pagan or Wiccan, nor have I ever, which is why I feel lost on my journey, as I do believe it is important to discuss, and learn from others, share thoughts and experiences.

I'm also a big believer in reincarnation, again, I do not know why, it is just a natural belief for me....

Any advice or experiences, or suggestions of appropriate paths to look into would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance,

Nathan

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

One of the first things I did when I started out was to make a list of 'What Speaks to Me' and 'What Doesn't'!

I knew at once that I wasn't interested in magick, so didn't look too closely into Wicca, or that I had any interest in deities other than as stories our ancestors told each other.

I too am on my own, and all I really do is celebrate the Wheel of the Year - mostly it's nothing more than having a special meal and trying to get outside to enjoy the changes around me - but the wisdom I received from on here when I asked the same questions, was that you don't need to be in a hurry to find a path.

It's taken me 4 years to get to the point where I'm happy to be 'just pagan', and not feel the need to justify myself (mostly to myself!) by following a particular path - though if you were to press me I'd say I I'm an Atheistic Pagan with leanings towards Druidry!

Just go with what interests you, and enjoy seeing where it takes you. There is no right or wrong way to do things, and in the end you'll gravitate to what feels most natural to you anyway.

Also it doesn't have to be a perfect fit in order to feel you can say you're x,y or z!

Hi Nath :)

My advice - take a look around, read up and just follow your heart. What appeals to you, what do you find resonates with you most? These are questions you must ask yourself in order to begin a journey on a path.

I can't say much else really, it's your path and your choice - not belonging to anybody but you. What happened for me and what worked for me wouldn't necessarily work for you, it's an individual thing. The best advice I can give - just find out as much as you want to, look up what you find resonates with you most and follow your heart. You'll be surprised where you end up.

WH

SW

SW thankyou for that, I really appreciate your advice!!!

ELOWEN:

you hit it right on the head!!!

I'm not bothered about "fitting in" to a set path, im happy to be "just Pagan" at the moment, maybe this will change with time I don't know....like you im not the least bit interested in spells, i believe everything happens for a reason and as nature intends, whilst I believe we can influence, i do not believe we can control it, whilst I believe we can influence the elements, essentially we can not control them, they control us.

As for God's/goddesses, this is where I find my issues, I do believe there's something, but is it a God, or a goddess, i dont know, the only certainty to me is that it is nature, nature IS the elements, nature IS the beginning of new life, and the ending of lived life, nature is not controlled, but as harsh and bitter as nature can be, nature is peaceful, harmonious, loving and kind, nature is essentially everything I want in a God/Goddess....

I am also very interested in nature's healing properties!

As for God's/goddesses, this is where I find my issues, I do believe there's something, but is it a God, or a goddess, i dont know, the only certainty to me is that it is nature, nature IS the elements, nature IS the beginning of new life, and the ending of lived life, nature is not controlled, but as harsh and bitter as nature can be, nature is peaceful, harmonious, loving and kind, nature is essentially everything I want in a God/Goddess....

Thank you Nath. I did actually mean I am a Pantheistic pagan, not Atheistic, but I was trying to post whilst being pulled in several directions! :o_rolleyes:

Thank you Nath. I did actually mean I am a Pantheistic pagan, not Atheistic, but I was trying to post whilst being pulled in several directions! :o_rolleyes:

I know ot might sound stupid...

But would you mind pointing me in the right direction or explaining abit more what Pantheistic Paganism is....

Iv just had a search on Google but it seems to just round up the search to Paganism in general....

You seem to have very similar views to me I think, and I just feel like I need to explore this a little more....

Thanks....

If you take Paganism as a single entity then it is bound to be impossibly confusing and complex. Thing is, though, it is not a single entity. It is a whole range of religions, philosophies, World Views, lifestyles and so on. Some of these are complex and others extremely simple.

On this site you might find Heathens who make a lifelong study of eddas and sagas. You might find Wiccans who spend years working through the initiatory levels of that mystery religion...... or Ceremonial Magicians who..... well I've never quite worked them out.

On the other hand you might find people like me, who has a rather simplistic, atheistic, nature based view of the World.

It's all good and adds to the amazing rainbow that is Paganism.

It might be frustrating, but Paganism really as complex or simple as you choose to make it. It might be an idea to go with the flow for a while and not worry about what path you should follow, or even what your beliefs are. Don't go searching for Gods or afterlives or convenient beliefs. Let the Gods find you if they want to. Perhaps, you are meant to spend a while in the wilderness...... maybe a period of "going with the flow" will turn out to be a vital element of your future path.

You are at a wonderful stage in your spiritual path. Don't spend so much effort looking for your path that you forget to take in the view.

All the best

Mike

Hi Nath, I think I know where you are comng from with your reservations about the 'pagan' label or particular pagan labels. You probably find some opinions and ideas you relate to and others that really put you off. I dont think a label is really that important and sometimes a hinderance. If looking into sources and talking to people that call themselves 'pagan' or 'wiccan' or 'druid' or 'buddhist' or whatever is useful or inspiring and feels right to you then go with the flow. I think you can also learn about as much about yourself and your ideas by finding out about things and deciding you dont agree with that as you do things you agree with.

'Pagan' people often disagree with each other and get things wrong just as much as any other humans. as other people already said, its an umbrella term for a whole lot of beliefs, so don't let one particular person or system's ideas put you off your own journey of discovery whatever label you feel like giving it at whatever stage of your journey.

I have since read various works by various people of various paths, such as Viv Crowley, G.Gardiner, Maxine Sanders, Alex Sanders, Anton LaVey, A.Crowley, any many many more.

These writers/practitioners are from a very limited range of paths. Most are into ceremonial magic or Wicca, though LaVey went his own way with ceremonial magic. None of them are from recon paths such as CR, Kemeticism, Heathenry, RR, Hellenismos etc etc etc. None practised Voodoo or Hoodoo or Santaria or other forms of African derived magic, AFAIK. None are from a communal healing path such as the noaidi or shamans. They are from a very limited pagan range.

Set paths aside - and most pagans are not from one of those - there is a whole range of beliefs about deity (polytheist, aspects, agnostic, duotheists, pantheists, panentheists, atheists, Jungian etc etc), or nature (from ecologic warrior to uninterested) or magic (from completely immersed to uninterested to consider it baleful and avoid it like the plague).

so just explore what interests you. :)

But would you mind pointing me in the right direction or explaining abit more what Pantheistic Paganism is....

I'm just a simple soul! I'm not really into digging too deeply into finding the truemeanings of tings, I just go with what feels right for me!

For me pantheism is how I view life on this planet - that god, the divine or whatever, is just anther word for the Big Bang really. That's my belief, but through paganism is how I express that belief.

A bit like saying someone is a Christian, but Catholicism is the means through which they express it, as opposed to Methodist or Evangelical etc.

Or they might not feel the need to express it at all! :)

Its a work in progress for me as I'm still new to this myself, but right now i'm enjoying learning about the mythology of my Celtic heritage and beginning to feel ready to incorporate a little more in the way of ritual into my daily life and observation of the festivals.

Someone in the street recently asked me what I 'do' as a pagan and I had a hard time answering! A bit like a Christian who never goes to church! I realised that I personally needed to be more than just a 'cultural pagan' in order to justify calling myself one!

• Like 1

Someone in the street recently asked me what I 'do' as a pagan and I had a hard time answering! A bit like a Christian who never goes to church! I realised that I personally needed to be more than just a 'cultural pagan' in order to justify calling myself one!

At the risk of completely misunderstanding and/or misrepresenting you, might I suggest that what you have been doing as a pagan is "living". I'm not sure precisely what you call a "cultural pagan", but, in the end, how you live betrays what you believe and who you are in reality.

If you are living in a way that effectively incorporates the values you associate with paganism, then you are far more of a pagan than anyone who spends their time in more or less intellectual moots or standing on ceremony in long robes whilst drawing arcane symbols in the air by waving black handled daggers around.