Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cstevens311084

New Garden

Guest cstevens311084

I moved into a new home late last year and with the sowing period approaching I'm wondering what to do with my new garden. I have never had a proper garden before and want to make a area to relax. I want it full of beauty for nature. I live in rural essex. I am lucky apart from it being uneven at the moment it is a blank canvas.

Any ideas xxx

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ad from Google

Pomona

A clean slate, how exciting! First thing really is to get the hard landscaping sorted - where you want to sit out, where your washing will be hung up, where the bins go, trees, hedges - a pond? - and all that kind of thing

Then think about the kind of space it's going to be - will you grow veg, do you want to have BBQ's, are you going to have an area set aside for wildlife or will you incorporate planting? Which way does it face? Is it a frost pocket? Is it exposed or sheltered? How far from the sea - will it be salty breezes? Are there gardens near you and what plants do you like growing there? If they grow well there they'll grow for you too.

Have a good look at gardening magazines and get inspiration from those, even the amazing RHS show gardens have bits that can be adapted and adopted. Rather than making initial potentially costly mistakes with perennial planting, for the first year, sow annuals. You get an amazing display cheaply and abundantly. And you can take your time deciding - that is really important - it's tempting to jump straight in but gardening teaches patience and persistence.

And enjoy. Having a garden is one of the most frustrating, infuriating, challenging, exhausting and rewarding endeavours to undertake but once it gets under your fingernails, you'll be hooked. Welcome to the club :D

• Like 2

Ellinas

What sort of size? Are you into flowers, veg or both? Rockeries, trees, raised beds?

Sky's the proverbial limit.

Earthdragon

My thing goes like- Lots of fragrant herbs, fruiting bushes, the odd tree and climber. Some perrenial salad and veg if there's space?!

ED

Edited by Earthdragon

Veggie dancer

Ive got a book called 'how to make a wildlife garden' by chris baines.

It is really fantastic. Ive read it cover to cover twice and regularly look things up in it. Gives you ideas for gardens of all sorts of sizes and locations, devoting your garden entirely to encouraging wildlife and also for if you want to incorpoate just some wildlife friendliness in your other gardening priorities like growing vege or whatever.

If you are really into the wildlife: we got ourselves a motion activated wildlife camera. We leave it at various places in the garden for a week or so then check what visitors we have had! Its very exciting. And if it wasnt for the camera we wouldnt know about the regular fox and the occasional badger, hedgehog and rabbit who have visited the garden. Have had lots of lovely bird pictures too.

Ffred_Clegg

You don't say whether you've got a new or an existing garden.

If it's an existing one, give what's there already a chance to come up and show itself before you start work - there may be all sorts of things there already

Have a look around the neighbourhood and see what's thriving in other people's gardens - chances are it will thrive in yours too.

If you've got room, always always make space for a compost heap - will eat pretty much all of your vegetable and garden waste - and a log pile for what's too big for the compost

Try to fit in a water feature, birds and insects will love it

Lots of flowers for the bees!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

• Like 1

Veggie dancer

We have a couple of those compost bins, they hold a lot and dont take up as much room as a regular compost heap :)

Imperial Guide

Jump-starting your able probably to use senses that you hadn't found . to utilise a garden space the best way feel your self being drained of negativity  arbutus_uneda    remove allot.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this