Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

SpellBase
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: SpellBase
Sign in to follow this  
VibrantCrystalMagic

Crystals / Amulets

VibrantCrystalMagic

Ok, so I've had my crystals for a few years and recently bought a small Eye of Horus amulet, along with a black obsidian pendulum off an internet site.

I am wanting to use my crystals again, especially the pendulum but I was wanting to know how to go about cleansing them.

I also want to start wearing the amulet but I believe I should cleanse it also.

Basically I'm just wanting some advice on cleansing crystals, pendulums, amulets, anything that I want to wear / use.

Ad from Google

Maeve

There was an earlier thread on the subject, VCM - which you could look up in the archive by putting, say, "crystals" in the Search box - top right-hand corner of the page in the brown banner.

I personally take the view that you cannot "cleanse" these items which have been wrenched from the ground and handled by so many people before they end up in your hand! However, symbolic meanings are attached to them by those who believe they can be helpful - The Chrystal Bible is one source of such things - and some say that you can use them to focus your intent.

One method of cleansing that I have heard of is to use the four elements - earth, air, fire and water - you can combine earth and water with salt in water, and fire and air by using incense smoke or a smudge ... others just leave the items outside under a full moon ....

• Like 2

Ellinas

I would say whatever method you believe will cleanse them - assuming firstly that you know what it is from which you are trying to cleanse them.

Create your own method according to your own beliefs and understanding of symbolism.

I have a pendulum. It's an old house key tied to a length to leather cord, and I would maintain it is as effective as any stone from any source. I also have a pendant - though I would hesitate to call it an amulet as I don't invest it with any such belief. However, I've never felt the need to "cleanse" any of these (save in the sense of a bit of metal polish when the pendant gets tarnished). To my mind, the history of an item, where known, may contribute to my emotional reaction to it (i.e. its' "character") and is as important as I make it; where not known it is irrelevant. Either way, why worry about it?

• Like 1

Moonhunter

It depends what you want to cleanse it of. If it has had previous owners and you're concerned traces of any of their psychic presence lingers, then it's really a matter of how best to bind it to you. The usual best method is blood. Failing that, I would have said wearing it. If you feel neither or those is applicable, then you can probably trawl the net and find all sorts of suggestions from anyone. Pick one that appeals to you.

I won't comment on crystals because, like Maeve, I can't see how something blasted from the earth and then tumbled through various machines has any propterties at all. Or if it has, I would have thought they might all be wanting revenge for that treatment! :lol:

• Like 3

Fortuna

Cleansing a shop bought crystal is a bit like chopping off someone's limbs, skinning them alive and then giving them an aspirin!

Personally I wouldn't bother, because a crystal is a stone which just happens to be pretty. I think that going through a cleansing ritual is useful as a bit of headology, but only for the person doing it. The crystal won't give a damn!

Mike

• Like 3

Phoenix

I like my crystals and i also have a pendant and I cleanse mine using the elements in the way maeve said.. I use incense and salt water. I like to cleanse them if I carry them and feel like I have been around too much negativity or anger in that day then I cleanse them to rid them bad energys. I use a similar method to charge them also.. it helps me on a daily basis when carrying them to defuse any/all negativity that comes towards me and then I like to draw from them when I need an uplifting boost. But again it is down to personal preference and belief.. I wouldn't hold the a company responsible for the post man damaging my parcel. So the way I see it is I dont think a crystal would hold a grude against me due to the way its been refined..

• Like 1

Fortuna

I like my crystals and i also have a pendant and I cleanse mine using the elements in the way maeve said.. I use incense and salt water. I like to cleanse them if I carry them and feel like I have been around too much negativity or anger in that day then I cleanse them to rid them bad energys. I use a similar method to charge them also.. it helps me on a daily basis when carrying them to defuse any/all negativity that comes towards me and then I like to draw from them when I need an uplifting boost. But again it is down to personal preference and belief.. I wouldn't hold the a company responsible for the post man damaging my parcel. So the way I see it is I dont think a crystal would hold a grude against me due to the way its been refined..

By that reckoning you would only blame the hitman who beat you up...... not the person who paid him to do so! Companies don't mine crystals for fun, they do so to meet the demand of people who want to buy them. Your statement is a bit like a meat eater condemning meat farmers for killing animals.

• Like 2

Phoenix

Lol true.. suppose u could look at it that way.. but hey thats what I like about this path. We all see and believe different things thats what makes it so interesting.

• Like 2

VibrantCrystalMagic

Thanks for your help guys. I know some people don't bother with crystals but I believe they have energy. The earth has energy and anything that comes from it has energy. This may be too new-age for some people but each to their own.

Thanks for the advice. I'll maybe give the incense and salt water a try. I just haven't used them in a while and I've been advised to cleanse them in case any negative energy has built up.

• Like 1

Fortuna

Lol true.. suppose u could look at it that way.. but hey thats what I like about this path. We all see and believe different things thats what makes it so interesting.

Interesting? Hmmm, I'm not all that sure. I think it would be far more interesting for people to engage in honest communication and debate. If someone disagrees with me, then I find a vibrant discussion about different points of view quite stimulating. Far more so than constantly agreeing to disagree.

Crystals are ethically questionable..... so why not have a good discussion about it. Likewise engergies..... there are lots of ways we can explore whether or not crystals have any powers at all.... for more interesting to have a debate about it than to always respect the views of others.

When I was new to internet forums I felt very uncomfortable having my beliefs questioned or challenged, but I feel these challenges really helped me to examine my views.

Is this The Valley, or Stepford?

• Like 2

Maeve

For those here that believe that crystals have energy, I would be interested to know how you know that to be the case?

Does it apply only to the pretty ones or also to stones and rocks and so on? You see, I do not believe that any of those things have energy - certainly not in any animate way to give out to me or anyone else. I do consider, at best, they are iconic and can be used - as can many other things in nature - to focus the intent in, say, a magical working.

• Like 1

Phoenix

Im not much of a debate guy... but however I do like people that make me questions my thoughts and beliefs. I do like my crystals I suppose thinking bout it its more a way of me to stay in tune with all this afterall iv only been walking my path about 5/6 months.. I haven't tried spells and that yet n ibthink the little cleansing rituals I do help ME.. but again ive changed my thoughts and oppinions alot since being in the valley due to good people sharing there opinions so I may yet change my mind about crystals.. however I am drawn to crystals weather they r little stones or big rough cut ones. I can pick a crystal up n loose my self and time by aimply holding and looking at them.the bigger rough cut ones I do feel they give/hold more energiesthan the smaller ones. I do feel energies coming from them though that could be a product of the mind cause by belief.. but beliefs change with study I dont no what path I walk atm but crystals still hold a meaning to me.

Edited by Phoenix
  • Like 2

Ellinas

I'm not even certain what "energies" means, let alone whether crystals (or any other materials) have them...

Unless it comes down to the "energy" that your own mind invests in them.

• Like 1

Maeve

I'm not even certain what "energies" means, let alone whether crystals (or any other materials) have them...

Unless it comes down to the "energy" that your own mind invests in them.

.... ummm yes, that's why I asked the question!

• Like 1

Phoenix

Ellinas im not quite sure how it works or if it is in fact the a simple 'placebo' effect but i do believe i feel 'energies' from my crystals. when i say 'energies' its hard for me to explain but ill try so bare with me lol...

various stones are said to have different benefits for those that use them. each stone feels different to me as though it has it own personality and different ones make me feel different, for example;

if my mood is tiered or stressed il go pick up something like my amethyst il hold it or look at it in the light within 5-10mins i feel calmer and more relaxed.

if im out and someone winds me up or when my kids r constantly winding each other up n they get me mad my tigers eye is the 1 i turn to

i have other stone i don't feel anything from. y? from what i find online it could be that my own energy doesn't vibrate within the same band with so to speak with that of the crystal.. its said that by carrying them in short amount of time helps you to synchronize with the crystal and build that connection.. i haev always been fascinated by them and as long as they keep helping me the way they do il keep believing in them.

im yet to come across a crystal that make me feel uneasy though and i do believe there has to be a balance somewhere with them also.

Ellinas

Well, I suppose placebos are something of a mystery in themselves.

Does your appreciation of stones accord with any generally accepted view of their qualities amongst crystal users? Or is it personal to you? Which came first - the experience of these qualities or the understanding of them?

What do you mean by "your" energy vibrating? What energy are you talking about? How do you know you vibrate?

My best guess goes back to something akin to the placebo - the power of your own mind and what it focuses upon. Try an experiment. Tell yourself a stone that hitherto has done nothing to you has a specific effect. As far as you can, convince yourself of this - and take time so the idea can sink in. Then see if it indeed has that effect.

Hmm... on reading back through this, I seem to have accused you of being a vibrating crystal user; nothing personal!

• Like 1

Phoenix

Haha nah its cool dude..errm.. I suppose experience came 1st. I always seem to hav been drawn to them and have alway lost my self when looking at them or holding them.. some of them when I pick up weather I know what stone it is or what its said 'abilities' are my hand or arm would start to tingle. Or id get like a warming feeling like a hug sort of thing. Some I feel a pull when im looking into it or holding it up to the light like im being pull to the centre of it.. and then there are ones that just feel like a cold stone. I believe they do have certain abilities I dont pretend to know alot about them or what other crystal users believe but I know how they help me lol..

The test u suggested sounds like an interesting idea I could try that.. will let u know what I come up with..

The vibrating question u asked.. it was something I read a while ago n it was just 1 way it was explained that I could get my head round ill try find the link for you if you want? Was a while back but can hav a nosy tomorrow

Ellinas

I've heard the term about vibrating being used before but never understood it. If you can find something you consider explains it, fire away. No hurry from my standpoint - I probably won't be online again before the weekend.

• Like 1

Phoenix

Yea no worries dude will have a look tomorrow when I get 10mins haha

Moonhunter

This 1 may be a little better. http://www.paganspat...meta/stones.htm

thanks, Phoenix. I tried this one. I found it a little ingenuous in its explanantion. for example:

The property that makes a crystal function as an electronic miracle occurs is compressed or bending. When this occurs, a crystal generates a charge or voltage on its surface. This is a fairly common phenomenon called the Piezoelectric effect. In the same way, if a voltage is applied, quartz will bend or change its shape very slightly... You and everything else in this world are made up of electromagnetic energy. By holding a crystal your electrical impulses interact with the crystal creating this same type of Piezoelectric effect. The crystal begins to vibrate and the energy it creates can be transmitted to your own internal energy circuits.

Now the problem I have is that not all crystals have the Piezoelectric effect. In fact, those that do are limited in number, namely:

• Quartz
  • Berlinite (AlPO4), a rare phosphate mineral that is structurally identical to quartz
  • Sucrose (table sugar)
  • Rochelle salt
  • Topaz
  • Tourmaline-group minerals
  • Lead titanate

source: wiki.

If it's the piezoelectricty within the crystal that gives it all its amazing properties, then shouldn't we be limiting ourselves to these crystals plus the other materials with the same piezoelectric properties? i.e. silk, wood and enamel? (see same wiki article)

The same article goes on to say:

All forms of energy have similar characteristics. A color, a vibration which in turn generates a frequency or sound. Because different types of crystals have different densities, each type of crystal will vibrate at different frequencies, thus creating different energy signatures.

OK, the first thing here is that we've already seen that few crystals have piezoelectric qualities. But what about the claim that "all forms of energy have similar characteristics"? That caught me, because one of my university courses looked at energy and it comes in many different forms: movement, gravity, heat, magnetism etc. You can see a list here. To be honest, I don't think this writer has any more idea than you do, Phoenix, why he feels about crystals the way he does. It reads as though he's either cooked up some mumbo jumbo pseudo-scientific stuff to sound impressive, or he's stolen someone else's. (Actually I looked - he seems to have written this himself, which is impressive. Many website owners simply cut and paste).

I'm not having a go at you, Phoenix. The problem anyone into crystals has is to explain why whatever force (however one may wish to explain it) inhabits crystals sold in New Age shops but ignores diamonds, rubies, coal and table salt (just picking at random). Salt, for example, has long been prized (for millenia) for its healing properties, which are strongly attested. Why is this not sold alongside rose quartz or amethyst?

• Like 3

Phoenix

iv not read them completely just had a skim read.. i also use salt myself lol. but like i said i dont pretend to know much i just know they work for me. im only new to this world of research so give me a year or 2 n i might be able to help a little more once i my self know more lol.

i do agree with limitations though. and i do believe we shouldn't take more than we need from this world.

• Like 2

Phoenix

been looking on another forum and a guy posted an abstract its towards the bottom of the thread and quotes the original web site if anyone's interested the forum site it.....

..http://mysticwicks.com/archive/index.php/t-68204.html

its the biggest section you cant miss it..

or i can copy and paste it but its very long lol.

Moonhunter

or i can copy and paste it but its very long lol.

'fraid not, hun. That's breach of copyright. No can do without the permission of the person who wrote and owns the post. :o_nono: :o_razz:

• Like 1

Phoenix

fair enough. its an interesting read i dont no how accurate it is though im no scientist lol

Moonhunter

fair enough. its an interesting read i dont no how accurate it is though im no scientist lol

It departed from any science at the beginning of paragraph 4. :lol:

• Like 1

Ellinas

I particularly like the reference in the second link to "what metaphysical people call..." Not sure I've ever met a metaphysical person. Physical ones are quite problematic enough, but metaphysical ones...???

My mind is rendered bogglesome.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that all these appear to argue by assertion that the scientifically unproven is scientifically underpinned by long words in puzzling combinations.

Where are the peer reviewed studies?

That's not to say that substances don't have qualities that science either ignores or hasn't managed to explain. But such qualities are a matter of personal experience and belief until such time as some basis for those qualities is proven. And I am left in the same position. No-one seems to understand what these supposed "energies" or "vibrations" are.

• Like 2

Fortuna
That's not to say that substances don't have qualities that science either ignores or hasn't managed to explain. But such qualities are a matter of personal experience and belief until such time as some basis for those qualities is proven. And I am left in the same position. No-one seems to understand what these supposed "energies" or "vibrations" are.

Energies.......er...... you know....... um...... yeah, energies.

That pretty much sums up every response I've ever had to my queries about the properties of crystals. Energy is measurable, that is one of the defining qualities of energy.

How do people tune into miniscule vibrations in a quartz crystal and manage to ignore the energy in the countless energies in the buildings they are in or the rock beneath their feet?

What does cleansing a crystal mean? How can it get dirty or unclean?

How does sticking it in flowing water or out in the full moon make the slightest bit of difference to it?

Why are the supposed properties of various crystals beneficial? Where are the ones which will kill you (not through eating, but by their vibrations)?

Why are pretty ones the ones considered useful...... why not a lump of granite?

And what about the fact that crystals sold in shops have generally been torn from their natural matrix and their natural shape destroyed?

What about the ethics of mining them?

What about the fact that some people claim properties in something like goldstone, not realising it is a form of man made glass?

I'm not being sanctimonious here....... I used to earn a living making jewellery out of gemstones, but one has to live and learn.

Mike

VibrantCrystalMagic

Ellinas im not quite sure how it works or if it is in fact the a simple 'placebo' effect but i do believe i feel 'energies' from my crystals. when i say 'energies' its hard for me to explain but ill try so bare with me lol...

various stones are said to have different benefits for those that use them. each stone feels different to me as though it has it own personality and different ones make me feel different, for example;

if my mood is tiered or stressed il go pick up something like my amethyst il hold it or look at it in the light within 5-10mins i feel calmer and more relaxed.

if im out and someone winds me up or when my kids r constantly winding each other up n they get me mad my tigers eye is the 1 i turn to

i have other stone i don't feel anything from. y? from what i find online it could be that my own energy doesn't vibrate within the same band with so to speak with that of the crystal.. its said that by carrying them in short amount of time helps you to synchronize with the crystal and build that connection.. i have always been fascinated by them and as long as they keep helping me the way they do il keep believing in them.

im yet to come across a crystal that make me feel uneasy though and i do believe there has to be a balance somewhere with them also.

Sorry guys, I've been hovering over this forum this morning, looking at peoples responses. I love Pheonix's response here and I find exactly the same with my crystals. It doesn't have to be "pretty, shiny" crystals, it can be rough ones too. I don't know if you want to call it "energy", but I definitely find there is something that attracts me to crystals - not just crystals. Sometimes I could be walking along a pebble beach and there is one certain pebble that I just have to pick up. I don't want to say it "calls" to me but I just get this urge to lift one certain pebble and I find that it soothes me. I feel closer to the earth by doing so.

To me, the earth is a living thing and holds "energy" of some description. I believe that anything that comes from the earth also has an "energy". The same way that I believe that all living / breathing things have a soul (cats/dogs/humans/elephants/monkeys) I know there are some people that don't believe in crystals / energy, maybe they believe it's too neopagan, and that's fine - we're not here to try and convince you otherwise. Everyone believes in certain things, and have their own beliefs, and who's to say who's wrong or right. We're just telling you what we find when we lift and hold certain crystals. Maybe it is a "placebo" effect - I don't know. But I do know that if I lift certain ones, they do have an effect on me / my feelings.

I also do believe that having arguments with a spouse / family member can leave negativity within a room / house so I would smudge to remove the negativity that builds up in my house.

• Like 3