Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
Sign in to follow this  
VibrantCrystalMagic

Crystals / Amulets

Earthdragon

Hey Isrith how about a thread to show photos of the stones we have. With the amount my OH and myself pick up it might turn out to be a long one we have an area the other side of the summerhouse and instead of paving it we have covered it with pebbles and rocks hehe

• Like 2

Ad from Google

Ellinas

OK, let us talk of lettuce...

Love salad, personally. Does that mean I'm more open to the "energy" of a lettuce than I am of a piece of carnelian?

The ancient Egyptians regarded lettuce as an aphrodisiac. Hence it being the favourite food of sex-mad Set and featuring as one of the weapons in his explictly sexual war with his nephew. Personally, I'd hazard a guess that, for a Kemetic, lettuce came above carnelians but below lapis. :P

I must confess, it'll take a heck of a lot more than a lettuce sandwich to cause a stirring in the Netherlands. Perhaps us Hellenes are immune...

Okay.... you're all strange. Hilarious, but strange!

:o_baeh: :o_loony:

• Like 2

Isrith

So while I was at the British Museum last month I came across this example of the potency of crystals, this time from native people of the Pacific Northwest (America). Apologies for the poor quality of photos, light reflecting off the glass case causes problems.

post-131533-0-56480600-1478809103_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ellinas

It's an example of belief concerning the origin, potential and significance of crystals. That's not quite the same thing as the "potency". But it is an interesting example of how a society has taken these objects and given them a ritual use.

Isrith
It's an example of belief concerning the origin, potential and significance of crystals. That's not quite the same thing as the "potency". But it is an interesting example of how a society has taken these objects and given them a ritual use.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you there, Ellianas.

The Pacific Northwest tribal "Potlach" was a wondrous thing in that a tribe had so much bounty - such an excess of food and goods - that they invited neighbouring tribes to a huge feast where they would give away much of their wealth, only to repeat again the following year. The crystals' action was in attracting and allowing such bounty for the tribe, and that is almost certainly why only a chief was allowed to keep the crystals - because the crystals' medicine was so strong.

That sounds pretty damn "potent" to me ;-)

Edited by Isrith

Ellinas

So if they happened to have a bad year - as must have happened now and then - was that a sign that the crystals were a tad tired?

Sorry, but whilst I accept, on current information, that a tribe may have considered that the crystals had the power in "attracting and allowing such bounty", I suspect the vagiaries of the weather and the tribe's strategy in dealing with the challenges inherent in the world around them actually had more to do with their success.

I am even prepared to accept that belief in the crystals may have concentrated and focussed the efforts of the tribe leading to greater success.

But I've yet to be convinced that a piece of shiny mineral actually brought better hunting or more fruitful gathering.

• Like 3

Isrith

So be it. To each his own :)

Isrith

So be it. To each his own. I'm not here to try and convince you or change your belief.

However I will add that there have always been people who believe that certain objects have a spirit of power dwelling within them, and that such spirits may be asked to work with them to bring about a desired result.

• Like 2

Ellinas

Indeed. I just would not connect people's belief (including my own) with what is necessarily the case. As you say, to each his own...

Lammas
That's not to say that substances don't have qualities that science either ignores or hasn't managed to explain. But such qualities are a matter of personal experience and belief until such time as some basis for those qualities is proven. And I am left in the same position. No-one seems to understand what these supposed "energies" or "vibrations" are.

Energies.......er...... you know....... um...... yeah, energies.

That pretty much sums up every response I've ever had to my queries about the properties of crystals. Energy is measurable, that is one of the defining qualities of energy.

How do people tune into miniscule vibrations in a quartz crystal and manage to ignore the energy in the countless energies in the buildings they are in or the rock beneath their feet?

What does cleansing a crystal mean? How can it get dirty or unclean?

How does sticking it in flowing water or out in the full moon make the slightest bit of difference to it?

Why are the supposed properties of various crystals beneficial? Where are the ones which will kill you (not through eating, but by their vibrations)?

Why are pretty ones the ones considered useful...... why not a lump of granite?

And what about the fact that crystals sold in shops have generally been torn from their natural matrix and their natural shape destroyed?

What about the ethics of mining them?

What about the fact that some people claim properties in something like goldstone, not realising it is a form of man made glass?

I'm not being sanctimonious here....... I used to earn a living making jewellery out of gemstones, but one has to live and learn.

Mike

Hi

I have seen this post way past its hot topic stage, but found it very interesting, lots of great contributions.

I'm pretty much on the fence regarding crystal energy, I would love to believe, but don't we all want to believe. Not sure if I have successfully used a quote, probably not, but thought the idea that energy is only energy if it can be measured is interesting. Is nuclear energy beyond blast measurable or is it simply pollution then? my point being it is invisible so perhaps there is energy but we only know because tools have been developed to measure it? I believe a law of physics is no energy is ever destroyed, it changes into something else, so the incredible energy that forms rocks, crystals could somehow be transformed into something we yet can detect. Sorry for gibberish, but nice idea!

Ellinas

I don't think anyone is saying that energy only starts to exist once someone works out how to measure it, or ceases to exist if it goes beyond measurable levels - that would be an entertaining philosophical position but not of much practical use. But, if it cannot be observed, at least in a crude and basic fashion, why assume its' existence?

I have yet to be convinced that so called crystal energy is not better explained in other ways - including confirmation bias based on beliefs concerning that energy. In other words, I have seen nothing to justify my formulating a belief in their efficacy.

I may be wrong; I will accept that once someone works out how to measure it, if it exists.