Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
fizzyclare1

Do You Have A Sacred Animal?

fizzyclare1

I use the term sacred as loosely as possible, because i was wondering if a familiar could be classed as sacred as in special.

All thoughts welcome.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Ad from Google

Ellinas

Not really, though I have met an eagle in my meditations.

fizzyclare1

My dreams tend to produce your average British wildlife, but foxes crop up slot. And bears, even though they don't live here anymore

Ffred_Clegg

Always worked out with spiders for me, not only the one that lives under my wing mirror, but also the regular strand of silk across my forehead every morning walking down the front path!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

fizzyclare1

I had a strange image of a spider on a treadmill then...

• Like 1

Pomona

Badgers. Found out unexpectedly there's a family connection and I think they're amazing creatures.

• Like 3

Ellinas

I suppose badgers would at least be in keeping with the colour of my hair these days...

Moonsmith

As to hare colour, my beard is certainly mountain hare in winter but nothing so mystic or aerial for me.

No, not a sacred animal but an animal that has interfered in my life since I was small is old fleabag there in my avatar.

He is the bhalu of the Indian sub-contenent, the sloth bear. Sometimes [incorrectly] called the moonbear [as opposed to the dapper little sun bear] it slurps ants and could be the least endearing of the bear tribe.

Had I a choice I might have adopted a mole or a woodlouse but the bear has butted in for so long that I'm more bear than me these days.

Edited by Moonsmith
  • Like 2

Euthalia

I feel a connection to a few, Owls, Butterflies and Spiders.

Moonhunter

I usually avoid this sort of conversation, because it's a wolf. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know - hackneyed, or what? Hence avoiding these conversations. When I read Facebook, it seems like every teenager has a spirit animal or power animal or whatever the latest stolen term is slapped onto a concept that grows increasingly vague. Anyway, mine's a fetch. Seems suitable as my ancestors probably were Anglo Saxon, rather than Ojibway. :D

*sigh* I wanted an otter or a badger or a heron. Instead, I get a wolf. <hangs head in shame>

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ellinas

Poor old MH. It's enough to make her want to howl... at the moon...

:o_baeh:

• Like 2

Moonhunter

It does have a couple of advantages - I never have to ask friends not to serve me up wolfmeat. And I'm unlikely to accidentally buy a wolfskin coat. ;)

• Like 1

Maeve

I only once encountered what might have been a power animal whilst in a trance journey ... it was a very lovely chestnut horse. However, I have never again encountered him/her and had no communication except that he/she ran along beside me on that journey.

Whilst working with a teacher of high magic in a western mystery tradition, I underwent a ritual to meet and know the name of my guardian angel and he is forever with me. I may never speak his name outloud until on the point of death - I just hope I remember :)

• Like 3

hedgeandcave

i have a thing with cats, and not in a 15 of them in my house and i never wash kind of a way.

I always got the impression that we know each other a bit more than is typical, and my wife who is indeed a budding crazy cat lady thinks i'm a genuine cat whisperer, even with the ones that normally hate all humans.

Though this doesnt mean i regard them in a sacred manner (/or) in some way above/apart from other animals.

I'm more of a tree hugger, though being drawn to Hawthorn this is not such a great thing.

I dont think that a specific animal ever tends to figure in my dreams, i'm going to be on the look out now, thank you!

• Like 1

Isrith

I like to think all animals are sacred. . . Except perhaps the badger who seems to be trying to build his den under my garden wall! I've left him a note saying battle may be imminent if he doesn't stop it.

• Like 3

BeingMyself

Birds seem to be mine - Buzzards and Crows mainly - they seem to be about a lot when I am out and about.

Ellinas

Careful, Isrith. Badgers are not to be messed with!!! Especially profane ones!

• Like 1

Fortuna

Not sacred perhaps....... but my experience with crows has always given me goosepimples. When the buggers look at you........ they "know".

• Like 1

Freydis

Not a sacred animal, but my fetch is a weasel.

Yeah, I know. Other people have wolves, and hares, and stags. Me? Weasel.

• Like 3

Moonsmith

Ain't this the truth.

We used to make badger gates when a forestry fence had to cross a badger track. It saved an almost daily repair which left unattended was a rave invitation to rabbits. [badger gates are too heavy for rabbit or hare but a badger or a tank could swing it.]

• Like 1

Isrith

Yes, well, let's hope he can read. Spotted a pheasant poking about in there yesterday afternoon. Feels like I have an episode of 'Wind in the Willows' going on back there!

Edited by Isrith
  • Like 1

Roots

Just to echo Isrith, I tend to view all animals as 'sacred' although there are some I'm definitely keener on than others. I have never knowingly take a life - a handful by accident sadly which upset me greatly each time. I will once again have to intervene on a daily basis now the year is warming......insects in the house are to be helped outside, NOT battered with newspapers, shoes etc.

Perhaps I should have been a Jain :unsure:

Moonhunter

Yeah, I know. Other people have wolves, and hares, and stags. Me? Weasel.

Hey, don't knock it. Weasels can reach places stags are never going to get into. ;) I could cope with a stoat (associations with Brittany).

Moonsmith

Not sacred perhaps....... but my experience with crows has always given me goosepimples. When the buggers look at you........ they "know".

Poe would agree with you.

I'm learning this poem in a desperate attempt to keep my brain alive!

But as you say: All the raven does is sit there and say one word. Everything else is Poe's narrator reading his story into it.

Veggie dancer

Poe would agree with you.

I'm learning this poem in a desperate attempt to keep my brain alive!

But as you say: All the raven does is sit there and say one word. Everything else is Poe's narrator reading his story into it.

Have a listen to this lovely version, begins as being recited as a poem and becomes a song...

I was going to reply and say mine is a deer but then on thinking about it i realised i dont feel as much of a connection there as i have done in the past, i wonder if it could be changing to something else, or perhaps that feeling will come back and i will feel confident saying deer again. Its strange.

Have any of you had your animal change from one thing to another?

Marigold

Maybe not a sacred animal...but I have always felt I have had a close association with the Corvidae family ravens, magpies etc. I also adore any type of owl.

However, bunnies capture my heart every time! :wub:

Ellinas

I suppose animals must be sacred. I know people who always say a little prayer before eating them...

IceDragonlady

I have an affinity to birds of prey which I can handle easily - I have never been pecked or clawed, horses likewise - I find their presence comforting, and of course dragons that follow me around every day and I feel like they watch my every move.

Moonsmith

If I can catch the cat that is coming through our cat flap and beating up our ginger waste of space that will be a bloody scared animal!

Ellinas

Sure you don't mean "sacrificial"?

• Like 1