Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
fizzyclare1

Do You Have A Sacred Animal?

Moonsmith

have you noticed that most people who are dyslexic can spell dyslexic? :D

Ad from Google

davkin

dyslexic - easy when you have spyll chicker

Unsurprisingly my Sacred Animal is the Wild Boar

and Ravens ~ yes definitely Ravens

Ellinas

I've never been able to spell slysdexic...

• Like 1

Hillwalker

Mine would have to be the field mouse - wonderful little creatures they are!

post-133183-0-02413700-1500670823_thumb.jpg

Ellinas

Last night, as I drove back from a wedding reception, a rabbit hopped into the road - too close for me to be able safely to brake or swerve. It's not my sacred animal, but it certainly got sacrificed.

Ethereal

Possibly unsurprisingly Ravens and Cats for me.

Ravens for my Lady, their intelligence, sense of knowing and majesty.

Cats because they are “half in, half out” to quote John Constantine and their tendency to treat humans as pets! 

sinistra

Ursus arctos horribilis (the Grizzly bear) is never far from my side. She appeared around the same time as my children were born and readily comes to my aid whenever anyone foolishly tries to harm me or mine. She's not easily provoked but when it happens, evacuate the area quick smart! 

Ellinas

I knew someone on another site who had a similar ursine type attachment.

Do you see your bear as separate to you or a version (for want of a better word) of you?

Moonsmith

My own bear, considerably smaller and a lot more scruffy than a grizzley, is part of me.  Like Dr. Jekyll's Hyde, bear used to be optional when I needed bear characteristics.   After a while, just as Hyde had later to be pushed back so I had to suppress bear.  Now I don't bother and the old bugger is evident most of the time..

Ellinas

I now have a mental image of varying sizes of bear typing away on their laptops...

"Part of me" is the answer I was expecting.  The alternative, if that is Sinistra's position, might be an interesting exploration.

Ember Autumn Rose

I do not have a sacred animal as far as I am aware... perhaps I am just ignorant :blink:

I have a fondness for quite a few animals, but nowhere near the idea/concepts of familiars, fetches or sacred animals. A quick list would include: tigers, lynxes, dogs (not the small, scrappy kind), bumblebees, moths, pipistrelles, magpies, jackdaws, crows, red deer stags, foxes, and owls. I think they're all stunning and majestic.

Maybe one day ;)

Caesar's Mushroom

My fetch is a bear :blush:

Moonsmith

There is a big Ursidae family around here.  Definitely wellies in the woods :biggrin:

Of all the bears in our family, I'm guessing that I am the teeny-tiny bear.  Most of you seem to have or be North American bears.

Is no one a Kamchatka, Kodiak or Polar?  All bloody big.

Please don't be sun bears.  They are miniature [smaller than my bhalu], very smartly turned out but the nastiest little buggers I have had the misfortune to clean up after.

Family photo

I'm third from the left.

sinistra

"Do you see your bear as separate to you or a version (for want of a better word) of you?"

Sorry Elianas, I completely forgot about this thread hence the lack of response.

My bear is a version of me which was suppressed until motherhood. I was brought up in a very disciplined environment (I'm not complaining, it was very happy and safe) I was a very quiet child and accepting of my lot. I didn't like confrontation and was prone to being pushed around and manipulated. That all changed with the birth of my daughter and natural instinct kicked in along with the bear. She taught me how to question and not just accept what was going on around me especially if it affected my child. As with Moonsmith, the bear is very close to the surface most of the time these days and is allowed very regular airings. I was watching "The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug" the other night, and chuckled to myself at the dread that was felt on the impending return of Beorn to his dwelling - hubby commented "I know how they feel!" Cheeky bugger! 😆 

• Haha 2

Ellinas

No problem.

Your answer, in general terms, is pretty well what I expected.

Bel04

Hi there, I feel like I should disclose that I am not really religious or spiritual, but just signed up here to learn more about my Celtic ancestry. 

When I saw this topic I did want to comment though. I feel I have a strong connection with animals. Since I could first speak I’ve been insistent on always keeping them. I’ve had a whole dynasty of various rodents haha as well as a Dog. I get very emotionally attached to animals. Most recently I broke up with my s.o. of approx. 2 years. I was more upset about leaving because of the cats! 🤭😳 Especially Fluffy. Strongest bond I’ve ever had with any animal. In one argument (prior to breaking up with my ex) He was yelling at me from the top of the stairs and I was at the bottom of the stairs by the front door, and Fluffy walked out from behind him and came and sat right next to me and just looked at him. I didn’t read to much into it until afterwards when my ex commented on it. It was like she was taking my side. I still miss her. As a child I was also very much interested in all things equine. I rode horses and was forever reading books on them. 

However, I can’t say that there is a single animal I prefer above all others. I am quite keen on keeping a reptile though, as I’ve never had one before.

Also, I’m vegan which is largely because of how I feel regarding animals being farmed industrially and slaughtered in conveyer belt style fashion. 

herneoakshield

Fox and Magpie are two that instantly come to mind. Fox has been important to me after a series of very intense dreams, and subsequently in several meditations.

WillowLily

Wolfs are very special  for me  i keep seeing them in my  dreams one of the things i see is a white wolf  and an native American little  girl  they are calming and talk to me when i am feeling unwell  they soothe  me  when am scared or upset  

i have seen wolfs in a nature reserve before there amazing  and beautiful and i wish they where free   i dont normally go to nature reserves  or zoo  i would like to see animals free 

I just became Vegan  in the last  few months  i love animals  there beauty  and there uniqueness  wolfs more so 

• Like 2

Moonsmith
7 hours ago, WillowLily said:

i keep seeing them in my  dreams one of the things i see is a white wolf  and an native American little  girl  they are calming and talk to me when i am feeling unwell  they soothe  me  when am scared or upset  

A witch friend of mine kept dreaming of a wolf, sometimes with a girl and sometimes she felt she was the girl.  This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my anything zone but I sent her this picture:

image.png.af44d187ff2e9d10f383b02cf4b97578.png

The title is "Wolf Protecting Girl".  Now I am not into dream interpretation at all but we worked together on her thoughts.

Like you she felt protected and calmed.

We noticed that the eyes of both subjects are the same.  Perhaps they were the same person.  My friend laughed and pointed out that the wolf is better equipped to handle their current situation than is she in that weather.

However she left with that thought: that girl and wolf were one.

Later I mentioned the she-wolf and again she laughed.  She had always thought of the wolf as male.

Make of it what you will but you are not alone.

[Deebs this picture is copyright - delete it if you think you should and I'll try and find a link.  Failed so far.]