Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Totem Animals

Guest bejahu

Hi

I have noticed that an awful lot of people have wolf pictures or wolf names. I have always felt very close to wolves - I used to have dreams when I was little about them protecting me. My son (nearly 14) also feels the same about them and has since he was little. At one time in my teens, I used to think of myself as Blaidd Merch, although Welsh is a language I never had an opportunity to learn in school (very disappointing!!!) and I realise I possibly got the adjective in the wrong place.

My query is (and I don't mean to offend anyone! :) ) since there are so many people who obviously feel very close to wolves and (possibly) feel that wolves are their totem animals... can we all be right? It seems to me that it might be a bit like 90% of people who believe they know their former incarnation believe they were Cleopatra or Joan of Arc or Boudicca (again, I don't want to cause offence, somebody out there must be the reincarnation of these people). Is it wishful thinking? Wolves are beautiful, loyal, family orientated yet also independent, strong, etc ... desirable qualities.

I would be happy for somebody to explain this to me. One of my deepest fears is of deluding myself. I hope that explains this post to anybody who might be offended.

Thank you for your time. :)

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I have just read the other thread about Totem Animals and found it very informative.

And I apologise for not being able to think of any men it would be entertaining to be reincarnated from... :)

Hi Bejahu,

This is just what I think. Through out human history the wolf has been revered and in some cases it was taken into our homes. A lot of us feel a strong link to wolves but wether they are our Totem animal or not is another thing. We do not choose our Totem, in fact it can be a complete surprise to find out what it is. They usually have a lesson to teach and sometimes it is a lesson we would like to avoid, making us blind to our animal. I suppose we all would love some romatisized image of a wolf, wild cat or bird of prey but that is not always what we need.

You have not offended me. It is good to keep and open mind. I certainly do not want to be deluded, it is always good to ask questions. It seems the more I learn, the more questions I have. :) I hope you find your answers.

Snowstar*

Good question! Could it have anything to do with the fact that wolves have in some way become the symbol of "free spirit"? I mean Indians, the origin, the pack, back to nature, untamed, before "civilisation" as we know it. The represent maybe what some of us miss or long for?? (Of course, for me the deer does that! :) ) Edited to add: btw, welcome to UKP bejahu!

Blessings

Edited by deerheart

Well thats odd, I've never really associated wolves, at all, with being free spirits.

They're pack animals, they like running with a crowd, am I not right?

I guess , I think free spirits are more associated, hmm cats.

Animals that like living/being alone, not with a pack, but thats just me! :o_grouphug:

I think wolves have a definate strong independence to them, beautiful creatures. I think of them, tho, as family animals.

:lol:

Hmmm not sure how to answer this...but I guess each totem animal should be right to the individual. My partner like most people loves wolves. I find them intriguing and free spirited etc but the animal for me has to be the black panther.

When I was younger I always imagined my animal would be the dolphin or some such so it came as quite a surprise that when I grew up (and this has only been in the last year or so) that I felt the greatest pull to the black panther.

So I guess what I am saying is everyone is right by going for the totem animal for them from the free spirted wolf, to the independent cat to the ever patient turtle.

Everyone is different and favours different animals even though wolves do seem to be popular.

Hope that makes sense.

See what you mean Whispered, but by free I ment untamed by civilisation. Move over a vast area, regardless of borders.

As oposed to their domesticated relative the dog the wolf is free. :o_grouphug:

I think I have a communication problem. :lol: :o_grouphug:

Well thats odd, I've never really associated wolves, at all, with being free spirits.

They're pack animals, they like running with a crowd, am I not right?

I guess , I think free spirits are more associated, hmm cats.

Animals that like living/being alone, not with a pack, but thats just me! :)

I think wolves have a definate strong independence to them, beautiful creatures. I think of them, tho, as family animals.

:blush:

86744[/snapback]

Wolves are very family orientated, caring and nurturing but also a teacher, which looking at the career I finally undertook, relevant to me Whisper. But yes free spirited too. They are wild, untamed. Although I have always had a big interest in wolves, it is only recently that I have looked into the meaning of totem and spirit animals.

As to why I have a wolf, I don't know. I have always been interested in them and never believed in the stories of big bad wolves as a child. Recently I have meditated alot to contact with my spirit guide and he comes to me as a wolf with golden eyes.

And once I believe I met spirit animals when out walking in the woods. A beautiful pair of wolves, came walking out of the bushes, crossed my path and disappeared into the forest. I know they were spirits as my dog, walking with me, never sensed them at all! I to this day remember that event as a special time and probably when I seriously began on my pagan path.

But as said before the totem animal chooses you, and it can change depending on the part of your journey you are on. There are lots of sites explaining their messages and the American Indian Medicine wheel looks closley at the attributes of animals in our lives.

I believe it is a very personal thing and although many people may have a wolf as a totem, they see that creature in different ways.

Hope this has helped a little in explaining, sorry if it has only confused you further!