Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

SpellBase
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: SpellBase
DaisyChain

Special Moon Tonight - Questions

DaisyChain

Hi,

I have a few questions I’m wondering whether they can be answered.

Tonights Moon (31/1) is really special in 3 different ways. Some say it’s the first of its kind in 150 years. It’s a super blue blood moon (2nd Moon in month) it’s going to have an eclipse which is best seen in Australia. 

If I were to charge water, could I use that water for Imbolc? 

Does it being a triple effect Moon have any extra powers?

Say for charging crystals? Putting ones not being used in a black velvet bag? Do you have to wear the crystals on your person to get the full effect or do you use a different method to receive their energy?

Do you charge angel / oracle / tarot cards during a full moon? Then afterwards place them in a black velvet bag? (Do you take the cards out and leave them in a stack to be charged or do you separate them?) 

Apart from cards / crystals and water can anything else be charged such as sage incense sticks? Sea salt? Or any other suggestions? 

Its suggested before putting the water out you bless it with sage. Would sage the herb be ok to be put in it, or ash from a sage incense stick, or cleanse the container by inserting the incense stick inside & around to ensure it’s cleansed? 

For Imbolc what is the ritual for using water. There’s no springs etc nearby so I’m a bit lost. Do you use moon water for anything else? Obviously it’s going to go stagnant so you need to use it fastish. What would be the benefits of investing some?

Sorry for all the questions. Primarily I’d love to know if charging with this moon has any extra effects. Secondly I want to make sure I charge as much as I can. Thirdly I’m wondering if there’s anything I’m missing out on? 

I haven’t done spells or anything like that. I don’t feel confident doing them, plus my area is more spiritual than anything. 

I hope this is in the right area, 

Love & blessings 

Ad from Google

Moonhunter

I can't tell you anything about blood moon etc, but "blue" moon is just a construct of the calendar we use. It's not something that changes the moon - we just draw up arbitrary lines to divide up days into pockets we call 'months' that are an historical accident created over centuries by the Romans. I follow the Anglo Saxon calendar - in other words, the main part of my life goes by months that are determined by the moon. The month begins when one sees the new moon. Lunary calendars are ancient and widespread, and were probably the earliest reckoning of time. Being based on the moon's cycle, you can't get two full moons in one "month" as the month is the moon and not some artificial human construct.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the other issues. I don't charge anything by using moonlight. I tend to use magic to maintain those things I use. I tend not to use crystals, angel cards etc. I do use tarot and runes, very occasionally, but regard the internet stuff about wrapping them in this or that as modern (20th century) inventions, spread by the internet. I'd suggest you do whatever pleases you. Others may have a different take. Same with anything about 'charging' various materials using different methods. 

You ask:

For Imbolc what is the ritual for using water. There’s no springs etc nearby so I’m a bit lost. Do you use moon water for anything else? Obviously it’s going to go stagnant so you need to use it fastish. What would be the benefits of investing some?

I've never heard of this and I've been around the pagan scene for years. Is this a recent invention? There's nothing in Wicca I can recall that links water and Imbolc, and Imbolc is a Wiccan festival. However, the Wiccan festivals are adopted by many pagans and they are universal as "pagan" festivals, if you read the internet, but they aren't universal pagan festivals - and those on the internet invent things for them that aren't in Wicca. So whatever the water-Imbolc link is, it might only have been invented a few years ago. No problem about that - if it appeals to you, do it. However, you don't have to stick to someone else's rules - especially if they were only invented a few years ago. You're free to create your own rules. :)

p.s. - I'm going to move this to the general discussions, as I think it's a discussion about more than this one moon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DaisyChain

Thank you, I’ll keep a look out for posts about Imbolc. 

I guess with the internet there’s the chance that different peoples interpretations are taken as verbatim.

Would you say each person has their own way of doing things?

Im new to this in some regards, in others im very experienced, so it’s a learning curve. 

Moonsmith
Just now, DaisyChain said:

No one here will be surprised that I certainly do things my own way.

Purely coincidentally I am collecting rainwater for my Imbolc meeting but that is because we always use rainwater.  I have swallowed my fair share of mead but there are far better drinks including Severn Trent tap water:biggrin:

Don't be scared by the freedom that Paganism gives you.  You are free to think and do what you will to express your spirituality.  I've seen so many  people disappointed by this exposure to a blank page that I'm almost tempted to recommend what Freydis calls "Pagan Lite" literature so that you can make yourself a handle for your belief and give yourself time to grow your own confidence and the very specific spirituality which is within you right now.

Have you read Terry Pratchet's "Witches Abroad"?  Its very funny and very typical of reality in many regards.  It's fiction!!!!! Magrat Garlic is a witch who is very concerned with precise times and precise species of herb picked at those times.  Granny Weatherwax knows that  you can use grass.  NB and mark well - When Granny Weatherwax uses a broom handle as a sword she cuts a solid wooden saw horse in half with it.  It's very funny fiction.

I have pondered here before whether we might need to have been Magrats before we become Weatherwaxes.

pee ess.

I forgot to put out the rainwater collector until last Sunday so it will now be dry until our celebration on Monday when it will wee down.  This may or may not be cause and effect but it is certainly within Sod legislation.

• Like 2

DaisyChain

I have so many TP books I will see if I have that specific book. Do you know when it was first published? 

Is there anywhere on here where people are talking about Imbolc?

I know through age, although I’m not all that old, to respect others views, also that ‘faith’ if that’s the word to use, is different for each person. It’s what makes us unique in our own right. There’s no right or wrong as what may work for one, may not another.  

I know somewhere there’s a chart about which books are part of which series with TP. Will have to give that a look too. 

I was wondering, I am very drawn to the idea of being a hermit, I have been for some time. Is that something which features in any aspect of what people on this site practice? I haven’t drawn the concept out of a hat so to speak, it has been on my mind for a long time. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Moonsmith
3 minutes ago, DaisyChain said:

I have so many TP books I will see if I have that specific book. Do you know when it was first published? 

I know somewhere there’s a chart about which books are part of which series with TP. Will have to give that a look too. 

I was wondering, I am very drawn to the idea of being a hermit, I have been for some time. Is that something which features in any aspect of what people on this site practice? I haven’t drawn the concept out of a hat so to speak, it has been on my mind for a long time. 

Oops, erratum and apologies!  It's Wyrd Sisters. Pub 1988 The first in the first Witches trillogy.

Poke around this forum [Starters Orders] you will see how we've answered some of your questions in years gone by. Mine will be much the same as last year [quod vide]

Why a hermit rather than just solo?

Have you read "Witch Alone" by Marion Green.   It's not fiction :) You don't need to be a witch to use a lot of what it talks about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DaisyChain

I haven’t really considered the just solo option. I guess that makes just as much as the hermitv

DaisyChain

I haven’t really considered being solo over being a hermit. I think in my mind being solo equalled being a hermit. 

I don’t know why it’s just after so much time with people, seeing others live quite happily alone, that’s what I wanted to recreate. 

This New Year was a total let down, I wished many Happy New Year, I got 2 replies back. So I thought people expect me to drop everything when they need something. That won’t be the case anymore.

i was looking forward to having my own place and being boss, if that makes sense. Instead of constant justifications. 

Veys

Hey Daisychain, 

I agree with the guys here. Don't be afraid to go with what feels right for you. If it feels wrong then stop and try something new next time. I would try keeping a book of things you try, and then anything that's a positive you can transfer to a 'tried and tested' Book of Shadows, or the like.

I charge my crystals and altar stuff at  full moons at times. I love the rain though, so on super rainy days I put the stuff I can put out (ie won't rust, fall apart, non-porous)  in my garden to sit under the downpour. The sound is amazing too! Everything feels happier after! 

Try charging some spring water/bottled water under the moon. You could then drink it at a mini ritual, or sprinkle it in circle for example. Like I said, give things that feel right a go. Trust your instinct. 

There is a book on Moon Magic by Rachel Patterson that might interest you. She is a witch and has written LOADS of books on various witchy subjects. The stuff you try and that works for you will be more powerful and meaningful. Read what you can and adapt it to suit you. 

Good luck and enjoy the journey! BB. 

• Like 1

Veys

Ps

Why not just try nothing but going out tonight, all wrapped up and safe, and just stare at the beautiful moon. See what thoughts and feelings come to you! Let your intuition flow with your appreciation of our beautiful celestial Lady! 

• Like 1

Ellinas

May I make a suggestion?

I get the impression - though I may be misinterpreting you - that you have many ideas, many questions, but they are crowding you with no obvious order.

If I'm wrong on that, feel free to put me right.  But, for now, it may be worth drawing breath and trying to start at a more basic level.

What do you believe?  How do you think the cosmos hangs together and how do you believe you relate to it?

Those are big enough issues in themselves, and any answer anyone can give to such questions can only ever be temporary, but it strikes me that quite a few of your questions will sort themselves out if you can get a clear handle on where you stand currently on them.  It may be that you have already sorted them out in your own mind - in which case, ask yourself what your beliefs tell you about how you relate to your practices.

From my standpoint, you are entirely free to do whatever you like in relation to the moon according to whatever interpretation you put on it and its' phases.  You are free to see it as anything from a lump of rock to the embodiment of deity, and any combination of symbolism and meaning in between.  The effect of your practices will depend on your beliefs.  That is why it is impossible to tell you what is right or wrong in these practices - it depends on your own outlook

Edited by Ellinas

Moonhunter
21 hours ago, DaisyChain said:

I guess with the internet there’s the chance that different peoples interpretations are taken as verbatim.

Im new to this in some regards, in others im very experienced, so it’s a learning curve. 

The internet is not just full of interpretations - 99% of stuff put out as pagan may be total rubbish. Not true at all, in any respect.

Most pagans probably do their own thing. others follow established paths. There's a sub=forum on this site called "pagan paths" or something similar. If you take a look at the pinned post, you'll find resources to get you going about a number of different pagan religions or paths.

20 hours ago, DaisyChain said:

You can use the site's search facility to track stuff don. Just use "imbolc" as the keyword and it should present you  with posts or threads mentioning that. :)

Hermits aren't a thing in the known branches of paganism, but there's nothing to prevent you being a hermit, if that's what you want to do. You might want to work out where you'll live and how you'll pay for things. You might want to consider how you wish to interact with the world in terms of getting groceries, having work done etc. Traditional hermits  were part of a monastery or convent and were attended to by the monks or nuns. The point of that as not be distracted by having to worry about here you sleep or whether you eat, or having to deal with household problems.

• Like 1

Veggie dancer

Was anyone watching winter watch this week? It was fascinating seeing how animals and birds not usually nocturnal reacted to the super moon. Using the extra light for night time foraging and hunting. I love being out in moonlight, it feels so enlivening when it's bright enough for a moon shadow.

I've never been organised enough to really plan leaving something under a super moonlight for cleansing or charging, but perhaps I should have tried it: My gran firmly believed in the healing power of crystals and had some nice beads and jewellery which my grandad gave me after she died. They feel to me to be heavy and festering with I don't know what.. perhaps they did draw away pain or suffering from her.. perhaps it was her who cast that away from herself onto them rather than an inate property of the stones. Perhaps it's just my associations. Whatever though, something lingers and they are unpleasant, (especially in the jade incidentally, the black onyx are really quite ok). I have tried various things to cleanse and refresh them. Leaving them on a windowsill in moonlight (left them there for months a while back) put them in cold salt. Smudged them with sage... 

i think there was a little improvement. They feel better to me when they are really cold, when they become warm I don't like them. 

Any thoughts or ideas on what I can do with them? I would like to be able to wear them, I have fond memories of my gran wearing them and would think it could be a nice link to her.

(you are welcome to say you think I am just crazy if you like) .:wink:

• Like 1

Veggie dancer

Was anyone watching winter watch this week? It was fascinating seeing how animals and birds not usually nocturnal reacted to the super moon. Using the extra light for night time foraging and hunting. I love being out in moonlight, it feels so enlivening when it's bright enough for a moon shadow.

I've never been organised enough to really plan leaving something under a super moonlight for cleansing or charging, but perhaps I should have tried it: My gran firmly believed in the healing power of crystals and had some nice beads and jewellery which my grandad gave me after she died. They feel to me to be heavy and festering with I don't know what.. perhaps they did draw away pain or suffering from her.. perhaps it was her who cast that away from herself onto them rather than an inate property of the stones. Perhaps it's just my associations. Whatever though, something lingers and they are unpleasant, (especially in the jade incidentally, the black onyx are really quite ok). I have tried various things to cleanse and refresh them. Leaving them on a windowsill in moonlight (left them there for months a while back) put them in cold salt water. Smudged them with sage... 

i think there was a little improvement. They feel better to me when they are really cold, when they become warm I don't like them. 

Any thoughts or ideas on what I can do with them? I would like to be able to wear them, I have fond memories of my gran wearing them and would think it could be a nice link to her.

(you are welcome to say you think I am just crazy if you like) .:wink:

• Like 1

Veys

You're not crazy Veggie Dancer! I agree that some items definitely have memory or absorb things. I had a lovely double pointed quartz I used to use to heal and cleanse people, but after using on someone who had been trying and trying to conceive, it changed. Totally. The feeling of it and one of the points just came off. 

I like cleansing stuff in rain or streams/rivers. If the usual sage, salt etc haven't had much of an effect. I know things can be buried in the Earth for a time too. I can relate to the link you appreciate, as I wear my Nana's engagement ring and other pieces of hers. Miss her loads. 

Good luck! BB. 

DaisyChain

I found after burying some crystals in sea salt that the salt seemed a lot heavier than when I poured it in. It could just be me going crazy, but I took the stones out and the salt was like a lead weight. 

I did ask generally but didn’t really get any answers. Although I’ve only joined forums this week, so it wasn’t a forum more a FB group of people that, if it’s not cruel to say, seem attracted to certain aspects but have no natural gift.

I say that with confidence because I didn’t have to do anything in particular to receive the powers I have, they’re just there. I don’t have to say when connecting to a picture or my spirit guide go through a 12 step process. Although I found the 12 step process usually helped me sleep, so I wonder if it’s more a meditating tool.

There was a fab FB group that posted pictures, one I just really connected with, but I was removed sadly, a day I think after my great reading.

It said it was a beginners group, when it came to that stuff I honestly thought I was a beginner, but I must have natural abilities that take me up a notch or two.

Ive never cast spells, I’m quite a wary person that I’d accidentally do something wrong. I’d say leading to my demise, although honestly 2018 was meant to be a good year, it started with my Nan having a stroke in Dec after I called her, then her ultimately dying last Wednesday. So not the best of starts. Can only hope it gets better really, although a reading I had pointed at things improving so you never know. 

Best wishes to you all this glorious rainy weekend. Natures on side for the water collection for Imbolc methinks. To me Rain is something that has never bothered me, my most relaxing experience was on what is a popular beach in the rain, it was deserted bar a few hardy dog walkers. It had such a different feel to it. 

Ellinas

Sorry to hear about your Nan.

I rather suspect that the salt would have turned the scales at precisely the same point.  You could try the process again and weigh it before and after,

What powers, precisely?  And what 12 step process?

Rain has a poetic quality - and is only a problem when you have no opportunity to change into something dry and warm.

Moonhunter

Ahem - mod notice

Guys - instead of making this thread a super-portmanteau of everything, can we start new threads for topics other than the super full moon? 

Many thanks :)

Moonsmith
3 hours ago, Moonhunter said:

Ahem - mod notice

Guys - instead of making this thread a super-portmanteau of everything, can we start new threads for topics other than the super full moon? 

Many thanks :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

You COULD have used red ink!  You could!  You could!

Younguns these days they have it easy.  I don't know what sentencing is coming to, really I don't.

• Haha 2

Ellinas

Mods only rock in red...!

Moonsmith
On 2/5/2018 at 10:18 PM, Ellinas said:

Mods only rock in red...!

Funny you should say that!  Cloudy here but .......

We are having a mini-moot at the Red Lion under a red [Super]moon with Mars at its closest to Earth.

How red can you get and still be relevant to the OP  🙂

Ellinas

If we all chant "Power to the People" and read out various quotations from Karl Marx under a full moon - that is pretty red and relevant.