Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

SpellBase
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: SpellBase
StillCarvahall

Silver Ravenwolf

StillCarvahall

I know, I know!

But, in the most eloquent and least swear-y way possible, why? She is often given as the one to avoid, above all others. So why would you say to avoid Sh*thead Ravinghoot? 

Ad from Google

Ember Autumn Rose

I can only make my judgement really from the one text I own by her (Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation), which I bought when I first started learning. It is a text that has made me roll my eyes many, many times.

• A personal peeve of mine (although it might not be to others) - magick, not magic. One obviously cannot possibly understand magic in this context without the added ~*k*~ :rolleyes:
  • She so kindly points to her other books so that she won't repeat herself and bore the reader - a more cynical person would say she would just like you to buy those too.
  • Ye Olde Language that all witches use.
  • Portrays the idea that Witchcraft and Wicca are one and the same; or the idea that there is one craft rule book that all witches/wiccans/pagans follow with no exceptions. Not sure how accurate her information on Wicca is either.
  • She seems to have a real thorn in her side with Christianity/Christian Dogma. Whenever she gives a negative example of religion, it just so happens to relate to Christianity. She also makes it plain that most other witches will not likely consider you a witch should you have any consideration of or understanding towards Christians...
  • *Real* witches can't be Christian / Witches don't believe in Satan - she believes it's insulting to think in such a way.
  • *Real* witches can't be victims / have a victim-mentality :rolleyes:
  • She's all for love and light, positive energy - negative energies and negative vibrations are bad, bad, bad...
  • The idea that you can't join a coven, or that they won't accept you, if you have emotional life-events happening at present (for example, if you are going through a divorce). Because humans should live happy lives all the time with no problems, of course. Also, having other life commitments may hinder you.
  • The many "humble-brags" she likes to slip into each chapter: Mentioning her many other books you may want to dip into, her private correspondences with Ronald Hutton [who is a decent writer], that she only has a clan of twenty-eight covens.
  • A lot of the information within is very superficial, with no actual reason on why one should do such practices, or where they originate for the most part. Her section on deities is incredibly limited, and there's barely a sentence on each deity. I know it isn't specifically a deity book, but it is pitiful in my opinion.
  • Thirteen Powers of a Witch (?)
  • Love balls (?)
  • Her wonderful ideas on when to cast spells, or reasons for... there's one for acne; one for unfair teachers; one for helping you to choose your school classes; to gain an understanding of literature... :huh: she also includes "advice" for eating disorders and suicidal friends...

Others may love her, and that's fine - each to their own. Her other books may be better, and I suppose there are a few nice bits within. But, if I had the choice to go back before I bought it, I wouldn't buy it at all. It's a very pricey prompt book for conducting your own research.

Edited by Ember Autumn Rose

Ellinas

Heard of her.  Never read her.  Not avoiding her.  Just never really found the opportunity or need to get to grips with her.

That is probably the most unhelpful answer you'll get on this one.

raventouched

I met this Silver Ravenwolf many years ago. Went to a book signing. Always heard she wasn't a "real" witch. In it for the money. Some people rave about her wisdom. I never could find any. Now Starhawk.......Tejas web ...whole other subject.

NorseNephilim

I tend to avoid all authors who don similar pen-names, like "Moonglimmer Pixiefart" or whatever.  Probably more prejudice on my part than anything.  That might well be unfair and I may be missing out, but for me, such authors are lumped in with Llewellyn books in the "not with a 10ft bargepole" pile.

Ellinas

Well, it does strike me we all don pen names just to be the authors of our own posts here.

Though it had never occurred to me that pixies fart - or that their flatulence may be linked to the glimmerings of the moon...