Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
atky90

opinion

atky90

Belief or religion for Paganism?

• Like 1

Ad from Google

Moonsmith

There was a time when I would have ducked behind the sofa and watched the war here  on UKP when that question was asked.

The answer is "both".

Paganism is a very wide umbrella term.  It covers many different groupings and sub groupings some of which are religions and many of which are not.  It also covers a huge number of individuals working alone or in small groups.  Some of those individuals align their thinking with one of the groups; some select from more than one group but the majority are not aligned with any group, they are just Pagans.  Some of these individuals will consider themselves to be religious, most will not.

There was once a pole here to canvass opinion - which was pretty stupid as the result wouldn't influence anyones opinion.  Two thirds of UKP voted "Not a Religion",  one third knew that the majority were wrong.

As someone who has had a religion in some depth, I am certain that what I have now is not a religion in any meaningful sense of the word  🙂  That doesn't stop anyone else from being a religious Pagan if they choose.

Hope that helps.☂️

[Mods - Should this be in General Paganism or is it classified as a baroom brawl in the snug as it used to be 🙂 ]

I'd like to see it in Starter's Orders so everyone who enquires can see it.

Edited by Moonsmith

Ember Autumn Rose

*just an opinion, a perspective, not necessarily fact at all*

I agree on the answer of "both", and perhaps a bit of "not sure" too. It really does come down to who you ask. There is so much variation within the paths of Paganism, I doubt there are very many who follow the same "carbon copied" paths.

For some, their way of practising might be considered to be quite "religious" in nature, e.g.: certain shared deities, shared ethics and principles, shared practices, shared rituals, working within groups of similar-minded people, and doing things a certain way. Similar, not the same - pagans are human, and we all differ slightly (even when we try to match up) :laugh:

In my experience, religion appears to be quite structured, and often a shared experience with others. Some Pagans may not see their beliefs in such a way, nor may they feel they share enough similar thoughts with others. Perhaps too dissimilar to work with others, and so would prefer solitary work... though there are plenty of solitary pagans who would consider themselves religious too.

Some may link religion to deity - some Pagans vehemently respect and work with deity, but there are plenty of Pagans who have an atheistic perspective...

I suppose it comes down to how you perceive religion and belief too - I don't believe the two are so black and white. Surely one must have belief/faith/trust to also follow a religion with what might be thought of as little definitive proof?

• Like 2

Ellinas

Semantics.

Does it matter?

I don't regard myself as particularly religious, but the divide between the terms is not entirely neat.  If I am discussing beliefs I may well speak from a "religious" point of view meaning nothing more than that this is to do with a belief system.

I happen to regard certain philosophies as nearer to being a religion than my own position - even where those philosophies are either atheistic or neutral.  LaVeyan Satanism claims to be both atheistic and a religion.

So, I would say:

Either, neither or both.  Whatever floats your boat.

Pomona

moving to Starters Orders 🙂

• Thanks 1

Freydis

Both.  My religion is Heathenism, and that's the basis of my beliefs.  

I do, however, have some beliefs that are not connected to my religion.  Like "marmite is a revolting substance fit only for repelling slugs".  Oh no - hang on a minute - that's a fact. :tongue:  

• Haha 2

Moonsmith

Pure Fact and Absolute Truth are such vague terms aren't they?

• Like 2

Reverend Nick

Ah, saints (or evolutionary process) preserve us from pedants to whom this kind of thing really matters. We’ve all encountered them: “It’s not Spaghetti Junction - It’s the Gravelly Hill Interchange.” 

• Like 1

Ellinas
On 8/3/2018 at 12:28 AM, Moonsmith said:

Pure Fact and Absolute Truth are such vague terms aren't they?

Absolutely.

5 hours ago, Reverend Nick said:

Ah, saints (or evolutionary process) preserve us from pedants to whom this kind of thing really matters. We’ve all encountered them: “It’s not Spaghetti Junction - It’s the Gravelly Hill Interchange.” 

Absolutely.

atky90

Thank you for your answers, Even though some didn't really answer lol