Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
Sign in to follow this  
Toskdc

Having trouble researching

Toskdc

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me. Recently I was reading about various beer gods (i'm a keen homebrewer) when I read about Habonde. According to the article in question she is the goddess of abundance, also known as Abundantia. 

What started as a passing interest has moved on and now I regularly pray to her. 

What is frustrating me is that I can find next to no information regarding Habonde. The same basic information is given, different names, the goddess of abundance. There is some reference to a feast of Habonde, which only seems to exist on a couple of websites with no references, There's reference to her in french folklore according to The Romance of the Rose. But anything more than the most basic unsubstantiated summary I'm unable to find. 

I did try Theoi. Although it didn't have any listings, it did amuse me that an advert claimed that I could find the Goddess of Abundance on eBay. 

Apologies if I'm making any silly, ridiculous, inappropriate or just plain annoying requests or assumptions. If you could point me in the direction of anything it would be appreciated. 

Many thanks

Ad from Google

Moonsmith

I'm  not the best member here to answer this one but why should that stop me 🙂

I sometimes read in this and other places that it isn't the deist/polytheist that chooses their gods but the other way round.  While I may question this in regard  to myself I wouldn't argue its rightness for others.  The fact that you have come across a god that I have never heard of may mean that it is surfacing.  Terry Pratchet suggested that unpopular or forgotten gods were trying to come to the attention of mortals because attention strengthened their archetype.  I can actually see one mechanism by which that could work!

Whenever a member here asks about being visited or approached by deity it is suggested that they talk to whatever it is and ask what it wants.  NB:  You do not have to agree!!!!!!!!

You could do both of the above.  I'm not sure how many of us here pray to our deities in the formal sense.  Debate, discuss with,  trade with or have stand up argument with - sure. 

Try opening a discussion; but look after both your mind and your interests.

Edited by Moonsmith
  • Like 1

Jon

Research, not everything is on google, though if you want better information you should try the academic and book search functions, a look at Gaulish religion and roman deities, or failing that I suggest going to the source material and reading it for yourself, (ee gads I can't believe I'm going to suggest it but-) go to wikipedia, click on references and start reading. Reading books and original material is far better than internet summaries filtered through others perceptions. Failing that go back to basics, talk to your goddess and listen to what they have to say.

Ellinas

See if you can access a university library with works on ancient mythology and anthropology.  There may be no short cut to searching through the indices of dusty tomes.

Toskdc

Many thanks for the advice everybody. I have started searching through "the indices of dusty tomes", and have found some interesting titbits already. Just started reading through full tomes which will give further clarification. 

I also keep asking the goddess :) And so far the insight I've been given has been astounding. 

Many thanks again :)

• Like 2