Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Having trouble researching

Guest Toskdc

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me. Recently I was reading about various beer gods (i'm a keen homebrewer) when I read about Habonde. According to the article in question she is the goddess of abundance, also known as Abundantia. 

What started as a passing interest has moved on and now I regularly pray to her. 

What is frustrating me is that I can find next to no information regarding Habonde. The same basic information is given, different names, the goddess of abundance. There is some reference to a feast of Habonde, which only seems to exist on a couple of websites with no references, There's reference to her in french folklore according to The Romance of the Rose. But anything more than the most basic unsubstantiated summary I'm unable to find. 

I did try Theoi. Although it didn't have any listings, it did amuse me that an advert claimed that I could find the Goddess of Abundance on eBay. 

Apologies if I'm making any silly, ridiculous, inappropriate or just plain annoying requests or assumptions. If you could point me in the direction of anything it would be appreciated. 

Many thanks

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I'm  not the best member here to answer this one but why should that stop me 🙂

I sometimes read in this and other places that it isn't the deist/polytheist that chooses their gods but the other way round.  While I may question this in regard  to myself I wouldn't argue its rightness for others.  The fact that you have come across a god that I have never heard of may mean that it is surfacing.  Terry Pratchet suggested that unpopular or forgotten gods were trying to come to the attention of mortals because attention strengthened their archetype.  I can actually see one mechanism by which that could work!

Whenever a member here asks about being visited or approached by deity it is suggested that they talk to whatever it is and ask what it wants.  NB:  You do not have to agree!!!!!!!!

You could do both of the above.  I'm not sure how many of us here pray to our deities in the formal sense.  Debate, discuss with,  trade with or have stand up argument with - sure. 

Try opening a discussion; but look after both your mind and your interests.

Edited by Moonsmith
  • Like 1

Research, not everything is on google, though if you want better information you should try the academic and book search functions, a look at Gaulish religion and roman deities, or failing that I suggest going to the source material and reading it for yourself, (ee gads I can't believe I'm going to suggest it but-) go to wikipedia, click on references and start reading. Reading books and original material is far better than internet summaries filtered through others perceptions. Failing that go back to basics, talk to your goddess and listen to what they have to say.

See if you can access a university library with works on ancient mythology and anthropology.  There may be no short cut to searching through the indices of dusty tomes.

Many thanks for the advice everybody. I have started searching through "the indices of dusty tomes", and have found some interesting titbits already. Just started reading through full tomes which will give further clarification. 

I also keep asking the goddess :) And so far the insight I've been given has been astounding. 

Many thanks again :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Ellinas
      As I have said before, I knew on another forum, and maintain an occasional contact with even now, a person who was known to see himself as a Christian witch.  Pagan?  Well he was on a pagan forum and fitted in very well, and his concept of deity was not such as would be safely mentioned in many a Christian gathering.   Us lot, learned?  More like Moonsmith's favoured image of the "old farts" on a park bench.  If the concepts have no use to you, I'd leave them be - otherwise you are in danger of joining the realm of "Old Fartdom"
    • Moonsmith
      Up to you Nettle but I wouldn’t bother if I were in your place.  I think that your approach to your beliefs is where it needs to be right now.  This thread will move on and fade away.  I’ve done research because I give talks on belief and need to know from which end of my food tube I’m talking.  There are always Pagans in the audience who know their stuff.     What we believe is what we really believe - that might be as good a definition of Paganism as any.  There is no “truth” except our own.  Share what you will but never let it be a chore. I’m here in the Valley coz it’s fun😄
    • Nettle
      I am not as learned as most here when it comes to paganism and even religion.    Hence why I do not usually get involved in such discussions. It’s not that I don’t see value in someone analysing their belief system and tagging the most appropriate label. It’s just for me it’s not that important.    I don’t know what I am, and to be honest I am not really concerned. Yeah it assists in communication but it is not that important to me.    At one time I know I understood the meanings of polytheism/monotheism/atheism etc but I have forgotten what they mean. They have not stuck. And as such they are not required for me to engage with my path.   Lol I am getting older now and so find I have to purge information to allow for more information to be stored! Basically I empty my cup, keep what is useful to me and discard (“forget”) the rest.   However I will endeavour to reacquaint myself with such concepts as they seem to be important to other members here and so may be worth more investigating and gaining different perspective. 
    • Moonsmith
      I agree SH!  Some Irish, Polish and Hispanic versions of Catholicism (Inc. some of their priests) are very like Polytheistic Paganism.  Once Catholicism meets Voodun you’d be hard put to create a definition that divided the practice Catholicism from Paganism.  That said, the Christians in question would object to being called Pagan as I suspect a Voodunista might object to being called Christian but I don’t know that.  I’d keep definitions of religion well away from definitions of Paganism.  I certainly don’t have a religion and I’m Pagan.  The original use of the word Pagani - (those who lived out on the pagus; outside of citified civilisation = rustic) - distinguished between formal Roman polytheists who would be offended at being referred to as Pagani and the rustics who wouldn’t. I wonder if you can be Pagan and not know it?  Is it behaviour related rather than belief based?
    • Stonehugger
      Is it that kind of word though? Where would one find an authority about what it was formally meant to comprise? A dictionary will say how the word is used in practice, so that's not prescriptive enough. An act of parliament? A contract? Speaking in my capacity as humpty dumpty, I could use it to mean something that's not like Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc. It's a statement of difference but also perhaps of exclusion. I've never been a Roman Catholic but I imagine their attitude to the Virgin Mary could be a bit borderline-pagan sometimes, so I could therefore imagine a vicar advising someone that their understanding is "a bit too pagan for comfort."