Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Moonsmith

Happy New Year. Early Samhain

Moonsmith

Well well!

The best we could do for Samhain this year was next Monday [28th].

Went out into the Grove today to check it over and guess what!!!!!  It's all there ready and waiting for us.  Hawthorn all deep red, no pale berries.  Even the holly which usually has pale orange berries by now has bright red berries.  The way the pigeons are looking at them not many will make Yule.  We don't celebrate Yule here so the birds are welcome.  The ivy is completely covered in flower - we are going to be spot on.  No one will be surprised that the rainwater collector has plenty in it.  [Non of us enjoy mead enough to spend money on it - rainwater shall do.]

For the previous two years we've had to wait nearly two weeks for the leaves to colour up and the berries darken.

Whether you celebrate Samhain or not - how's your Autumn?

Happy New Year.

Edited by Moonsmith
To avoid the dreaded BLOGGIT!
  • Like 1

Ad from Google

Jon

its cold, was covered in sleet yesterday, going to be a long cold winter, been watching many a fool accelerate too sharply on wet roads with wheel spin and thats just the rain, a bit of ice and there will be many a silly person spun off the roads, the leaves are well into falling off the trees, 

Ellinas

As of yesterday, cold and frustratingly hard work when it comes to lopping overgrown trees in the garden.  Chain saw didn't want to work (had to take it apart and put it back together again).  Green waste recycling bins were too small (and we've got 2 of them).  Garden rubbish bags could not be found (eventually discovered some medium sized black rubbish bags hiding in the garage); skip at the recycling centre was too full (just managed to squeeze the stuff in).  Nose wouldn't stop dripping (cold breeze has that effect on me).  Managed to stand on one of Mrs E's garden ornaments (dog house beckons).

Every day is the start of a new year, so happy new year to everyone in prospect of whenever your annual chronological cycle commences.

When is summer due?

Moonsmith

Eschew the evil heat engine!

The moment Ryobi brought out the  Kw mains brushwood cutter, out went the petrol version.  The cable 2Kw electric mower arrived in short order followed by an 18 inch chain saw.  30M of cable is no problem not even 20 feet up an ash tree.

I shall enjoy my winter free of oil, fuel cans, spark plugs, thrashing away at starter cords and general horticultural blasphemy.  Unless you have an intermittent power supply I cannot recommend it highly enough.  [I do recognise that my equipment is actually nuclear, coal, oil, wind and sun powered.]

I camped in the hills above Tregarron last week and the crazy quasi tipi was thoroughly frosted over.  Kites wheeling in a crystal clear blue sky.  That first nip on the nose first thing this morning. Samhain and clock returning to Sun time is the beginning of "my time"  🙂 🙂 🙂   Bring it on!

Edited by Moonsmith

Earthdragon

Just travelled back to Derbyshire from North West Scotland. Great to see snow plastered Bheinn's on the way down followed by blazing sunshine.

Looking forward to meeting up with other members of the Grove. Initiations are taking place alongside our Samhain ritual. 

In our tradition the Great Goddess travels to the Otherworld in search of her mate at this time. It is the end of the cycle of the year. A time of transition and new beginnings - to reflect on the year gone and prepare for winter and the seeds to be sown in the darkness and later on in Speing in the soil...

Best wishes to all who celebrate Samhain and to all who don't!

Briton

I hope to be at Avebury again this year. Last year I was there for the weekend event rather than properly on the 31st and it was really lame, but previous years we went on 31st and it was really good so hopefully will be again.

Ellinas

It was an electric saw - one of those small ones on a long extendable handle for high-ish branches.  The chain was stuck so I took it apart to free it, and then put it back on the wrong way round so had to unscrew it all again.

As to cold nipping the nose - the downhill bits on my bicycle this morning were quite memorable.

Moonsmith
15 hours ago, Ellinas said:

The chain was stuck so I took it apart to free it, and then put it back on the wrong way round so had to unscrew it all again.

Bin there, done that.  I've even resharpened the chain and dropped all the the depth gauges before I realised what I'd done.  I don't think the oilers deliver enough lubricant on those saws;  they always seem to run a dry chain.  I preferred the old hand pumped ones.

A wonderful celebration yesterday with the fields white with frost.  The grove was hung with frosted spiderwebs.

Moonsmith

It took longer to transfer this pic from phone to here than it did to hollow out my admittedly tiny swede.:)

The second one frightened my physics teacher daughter.  She says it is the most scary pumpkin that she has ever seen!

image.png.c571ed4ff7a9cde604adee072391c0c5.png                                    image.png.d8062341ef7b0213ead02287486fbade.png

• Haha 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this