Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Galaemar Laerareon
The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Neus

Wassailing

Neus

Hello

I am new in this site, and although I have been reading about spirituality since I was very young, I can't say I am following any pagan path in particular.

Since the beginning of this year I have feen drawn to Wassailing, but I can't find any celebrations - only one in the Birmingham Theatre. Does anybody know any Wassailing celebration worth attending to?

Thank you kindly

Ad from Google

Ellinas

Can't help with that one, sorry.

Suppose you could always do your own celebration if push came to shove.

Moonsmith

No, Sorry.  The Wassaile isn't a major celebration for the majority of Pagans.  Where it is celebrated it is usually put together by a local group, sometimes the local church.  There may be Heathens who would argue with that. I would bow to their view.

Basically get together with some mates and a lot of cider and hope for lots of apples and thereby more cider for next year.  It is another bright light of a celebration in the middle of the dark days around the solstice.  Therefore the most important thing must be to have a great time. 

If you wanted to see its history then borrow a copy of "Stations of the Sun" by Ronald Hutton.

pee ess:

If anyone hands you a drinking horn, turn it so that the tip points towards you.  Apparently it is hugely funny to hand it to someone who does not know and watch them tip cider all over themselves.

Neus

Thank you both for the replies :) Yes, I have seen only small celebrations at production centres, but it is understandable now.

And thank you for the reference, too,I will try to get the book

Moonsmith

Noooooooo!  Don't buy the book for just one reference to Wassailing!

I have it and have not yet got through it.  As most of Hutton it is very informative, dense reading of festivals around the year.

Again as usual for Hutton, if you thought Christianity stole Christmas prepare to be disillusioned😄

Borrow the book on Kindle if you can.

Veggie dancer

I just searched wassailing as I didn't really know what it was, it sounds like fun! There seems to be a fair few events around the country that popped up on my search I will send some links. Where are you Neus?- looks like Spain on your profile! Roughly what area are you looking at for visiting?

Veggie dancer
Neus

Thank you indeed:) For some reason none of these links popped in my searches. 

Yes, I am based in Spain, near Girona (100km S from the French border). I can travel tho, it only depends on how January turns out...

Well, thank you again :) Maybe you can enjoy some of the celebrations

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.