Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Veggie dancer

Myths and legends

Veggie dancer

I'm thinking of writing a book or maybe a whole collection if it goes well. Basically retelling myths and legends but written in a current style like young adult fantasy.

I'm starting with a bit of research and I think I want to stick to the 'proper' story lines.

do any of you know of any good resources, preferably online, for 'original' myths and legends? I'm sure there are links I've seen posted on the valley before that would be useful but I can't seem to find them.

I am thinking of starting with something Greek - perhaps Persephone but I'm not sure I'm looking into all sorts

• Like 1

Ad from Google

Stonehugger

I got sidetracked and started looking for Cinderella. Nothing came up on Google Scholar but this came up on normal google looking for cinderella grimm pdf - https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1416/91/1416918759518.pdf

There's the Gutenberg project of course, e.g. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/52624/52624-h/52624-h.htm

• Like 1

Ellinas

Have a look here

Also, you might find some old translations are very cut price or free as e-books via the likes of Kobo.

• Like 2

Veggie dancer

Ellinas you might be able to help me answer this...

According to story and or tradition.. when is the time that Persephone returns from the underworld? Is it solstice when the sun returns or another time?

Ellinas

Using the link I gave you, if you go to the Homeric Hymn to Demeter, paragraph noted [459], you will see that Persephone resides in Hades for one third of the year.  The next paragraph, noted [479], confirms that fruitfulness returned to the earth at the point of return (or at least, the agreement for her return).

Then navigate to Ovid, Metamorphoses , Book 5, heading Pluto & Proserpine, paragraph noted [564], where the time scale is 6 months in Hades, 6 months with Demeter.

I understand that Hyginus, Fabulae, also mentions an equal split - that text does not appear to be complete on Theoi.  You might be able to dig out a translation elsewhere.

Bottom line, the earlier source says 1 third of the year in Hades, the later source (possibly 2 sources) half the year.

To me, the earlier version makes more sense.  This myth relates to the onset and retreat of winter.  On the modern pagan calendar, I suppose the nearest would be around Samhain to Imbolc.  Another approach would be to vary the date according to observation each year.

Edited by Ellinas
An errant comma

Earthdragon

A suggestion I have is to look at abridging First Battle of Magh Turedh. You can read it here:

http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/1maghtured.html

I have found the most interesting character in this story to be Sreng the most formidable of the warrior chiefs of the Fir Bolg who advised to yield half of Ireland the Tuatha Dé rather than fight them but who then went on to be undefeatable in battle and took kingship over Connacht. 

ED

Edited by Earthdragon
Font inconsistency
  • Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.