Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Earthdragon

Rebirth Ritual/Meditation

Earthdragon

Anyone have any experience of death and rebirth rituals or meditations.

It's an area that I have been looking at and see as worthwhile.

There are a variety of considerations - what is the motivation? How can one ensure having proper safeguards? What are the risks? What does such an approach give in terms of opportunity for change and growth and how can these be optimised?

Ad from Google

Moonsmith

Other than the normal cycle of the year - no.

What are such rituals used for?

Earthdragon

In the tradition I practise the moving from one distinct stage of the path to another is viewed as a death and a rebirth. Such a transition is marked outwardly by initiation and ritual including, but not limited to, private and public initiation, symbolic cutting of a cord (spiritual umbilicus), burning of one's robes and the donning of newly made ones. Inwardly such a transition is a chance to leave behind old ways, cleanse ok nearly of the things me doesn't need and create space for a transformative experience. Like many things what one gets out of it depends on what needs puts in.

That aside there can be long or short rebirth rituals and meditations which aim to do similar but are personally practised. I understand that death and rebirth ritual is part of many shamanistic traditions. 

For those who work with the concept of reincarnation it can be a powerful tool in order to shed the old and begin anew. 

Edited by Earthdragon

Moonsmith

So some similarities with "Le Mort" of the tarot pack.

When I ran with an OBOD pack I witnessed a ritual in which a young initiand entered a cave, made some changes and emerged in a of coming of age.  The cave made a sort of connection between tomb and birth canal.

I tagged along with the Earthworks tribe for six years or so but was never myself a member of OBOD.

Am I overthinking your post or are congratulations on promotion in Order, in order?

Edited by Moonsmith

Earthdragon

I've not studied Tarot but it's on my list. I gather there are different approaches to it - I would tend to favour a " spiritual embedded within a psychological" approach I think.

Haha no I am not proceeding to any next level on the Druidic path any time soon. Just wanted to compare thoughts on such things in general really...

Moonsmith

Neither have I but tarot was the subject of a Moot that I visited last night.

As you  know reincarnation is not part of my path other than an ongoing redistribution of my component atoms.

However, if slightly off topic, I find Marcus Aurelius useful when contemplating the end of my individual awareness:

Meditation XI:

If thou should live three thousand years or as many as ten thousands of years, yet remember this, that man can part with no life properly, save with that little part of life which he now lives: and that which he now lives is no other than that which in every instant he parts with.

And one of my favourite poets: Piet Hein:

As eternity is reckoned, there's a lifetime in a second.

Perhaps then my reincarnation, my death and rebirth, is happening microsecond by microsecond. 

What is the difference between oblivion and Nirvana anyway?

Edited by Moonsmith
because that's what I do.
  • Like 1

Ellinas

I suppose it depends on what precisely you mean by nirvana.  However, whilst "emptiness" might, at least to a Western mind, seem to equate to oblivion, I rather doubt if many Hindus, Buddhists or Jains would necessarily accept that.  The dissolution of the illusions of this existence is, perhaps, the nearest equivalent that makes sense to me.

"He that endureth even to the end

Hath sworn that love's own corpse shall lie, at noon,

Even in the coffin of its' hopes, and spend

All the force won by its' old woe and stress

In now annihilating nothingness"

(Aleister Crowley - from "Bortch", a poem from The Book of Lies - and quoted from memory, so don't shout too loud if you find a word wrong somewhere).

Back to the OP - no, not part of my practice, though may well have been connected to the mysteries of Eleusis.  Unfortunately, its likely we'll never know for sure.  I suspect the difficulties and risks are largely psychological and the safeguards are to make sure you are enough of a b*st*rd to be able to face up to your own death before going through with such a ritual.

I think in Diary of a Mage (the title might be "The Pilgrim" in English) Paolo Coelho describes a ritual in which one faces one's own death - and does so in terms that describe utter terror.  Again, from memory, it involves a vivid nocturnal visualisation of being buried alive, but is seen as part of a series of rituals and visualisations practiced in series.  Now, I am not a Christian esotericist (as Coelho tends to represent himself to be) nor do I necessarily believe all he claims for his own experiences - but the ideas are interesting.  Might be worth you having a look at the book.

Edited by Ellinas
I can't spell
  • Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this