Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Earthdragon

The Spring Equinox

Earthdragon

Hi All, 

The Spring Equinox is approaching. How do you relate to the equinox? Does it have any particular significance in your paganism? 

As the solar year rolls on the equinox is a crossing by the sun of a marker in time whereupon the daylight hours hold sway over night. For the following 6 months there are more daylight hours (sun above the horizon) than nighttime hours.

There are indications that this was paid attention to by prehistoric peoples through alignments of megaliths with these points on the horizon. 

Some propound the theory that the red cross of St. George and the Saltire flag (making the Union Jack of course) are symbolic for the solstices and the equinoxes - the clockwork observable markers in the birth, life and rebirth of the sun through the solar year. At this time the sun's rising and setting points  are skipping across the horizon as the days lengthen quickly.

In the Druidic tradition I practise the equinox mark the time of rebirth of the solar male father God who then comes of age at Beltane. It is the time when the Mother Goddess gives birth having returned from the Otherworld back into this world (though she is paradoxically ever present in both!)

• Like 2

Ad from Google

Moonsmith

Weeeeeeeell,

Our group does not celebrate the equinox formally but I think we all appreciate that it is a beautiful time of year.  Of course  all times of the year are beautiful but many folk seem pleased to see the end of what in other years were the cold days.

I am less happy about those who celebrate the Vernal equinox with a feeling of relief, triumph or escape.  I've even seen Pagan psychodrama celebrating the "vanquishing" of winter.  That's hard for someone who enjoys the dark days as do I.

Camping in the crazy quasi tipi among the hills above Corwen in a 5 season sleeping bag a  couple of weeks ago, I nearly cooked myself.  I've had the canvas frozen on the same date in other years.

Hawthorn leaf buds are just beginning to burst where the sun can catch them on our biggest thorn tree.  Blackthorn of course in full blossom and already starting to "snow".  Snowdrops are only just over.  We could have held Imbolc early last week and still been standing in a carpet of white.

Hawthorn for hedging is grown from seed so that each plant is genetically unique.  They can have very varying bud burst times.  As a result the hedges here are a random patchwork of dark closed  brown contrasting with a pale green haze.

Hope that you can all enjoy the times.

Ellinas

No particular personal significance.

Save that it marks the point that Mrs E becomes even more determined to find places to which I will have to drive her for days out...

The reference to returning from the otherworld presumably is a version of the Persephone myth?

• Like 1

Moonsmith
4 hours ago, Ellinas said:

Persephone myth?

It's not a myth it's a legend.  😛:o_bolt:

Ellinas

:coz_spat:

I consider Greek mythology to be truly legendary

🇬🇷 :tongue:

Boscone

I never really used to notice the changing seasons in England. I lived in the city and the weather just went from cold and wet to slightly less cold and still wet.

Now I’m in Italy and we have proper seasons I take much more notice. That this coincides with my more spiritual life I’m sure is no coincidence.

We’re about to buy a house at the foot of a hill over which the sun rises, so we’ve been keeping really close attention to how much sunlight it gets now the seasons are changing. During winter it wouldn’t get any light until around 10:30am. We’re hoping this gets a bit earlier in Spring!

That said while we’ll be paying attention to the equinox we won’t be doing anything too formal. Redecorate the house with Spring flowers and remove the winter ones. Change the colour schemes of the ornaments and candles in the rooms. Going out to collect mushrooms now they’ll be starting again and just generally taking advantage of the woods and mountains outside.

• Like 2

Stonehugger

One of the things I noticed when moving from an urban to a rural home was the impact of the seasons outside of cities. I like the idea of having seasonal ornaments. I celebrate the winter solstice - it's the time I'm most "out" as a pagan. I recognise the other solstice and equinoxes but don't normally do much about them. I always feel I should celebrate the celtic festivals but, unlike the solstices, people never know what I mean when I wish them a happy Imbolc or whatever. Beltain seems to ring a bell with a few people sometimes though.

• Like 1

Moonsmith
On 3/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, Ellinas said:

I consider Greek mythology to be truly legendary

Greek mythology contains myths but not all classical Greek stories are mythology.

A myth is a creation story.  It's a story that seeks to explain how something came to be:

• where The Wrekin came from;  [other than geology]
  • why dogs sniff each others' bums;  [other than biology]
  • why the sea goes in and out;  etc. [other than oceanography]

So Kipling's  story "How the elephant got its trunk"  is a myth.  Neither the Odyssey nor the Mabinogion are [as far as I remember] mythological.  In fact in today's story telling parlance the Odyssey is a "Road Story."

With apologies to the OP; this branch of Padants R Us is closing down 🙂

Ellinas

So why would the Persephone story not be a myth, given it explains how the seasons came to be...?

Tone

I celebrate the spring equinox with food and wine and song and I think that having survived another season of hibernating is something to write home about. I celebrate it for the mice and the badgers and the owls and wolfs and everything that has gone into winter sleep or that has a hard time finding food. Personally, the solstices, winter and summer, holds more importance as they are points of balance.

However, in recent years climate change has made it difficult to really relish in this time of the year, as being more aware of the rhythm of nature also makes you aware that it's way off beat. Winters are harder, snowfalls more sudden and unpredictable, spring weather arrives in bursts and are replaced by new cold spells. Animals and plants freeze to death as they are lured to the surface too soon. Things have always been a bit back and forth, of course, but now there is a general sense of the wheels of nature still turning, but it's like being on a bicycle with one wheel loose, things are staring to get wonky, the brakes aren't working, you're going downhill and you're really just looking for a soft spot to crash, hoping there will be pieces to pick up.

I still enjoy the snowdrops and daffodils and birdsong though.

• Like 1

Moonsmith
On 3/11/2019 at 8:54 PM, Moonsmith said:

...........but not all classical Greek stories are mythology

DavidMcCann

The equinoxes were not traditionally celebrated in Hellenism (nor the solstices, for that matter) but religion doesn't stand still. I will certainly celebrate it as a festival of Gaia, with offerings and a hymn.

On the subject of myths, these have been defined as stories that are "good to think with" (Clifford Geertz) or that "never happened but are always true" (Joseph Campbell). This would not include Kipling's Just So Stories! The idea that all myths are aetiological was launched over a century ago by Andrew Lang. Obviously some myths fit that pattern, but many don't. What are the labours of Heracles supposed to explain? And to call those myths "legends" merely misuses a word that we need for other purposes. The tales of King Alfred and the cakes or George Washington and the cherry tree are legends, but they aren't myths.

• Like 2

Ellinas

MS - you did indeed say that not all Greek stories are myths, hence accepting that some are.  You also indicated that Persephone belongs to the world of legend.  Hence my query.

Not that I'm inclined to be overly prescriptive over which story comes into which category, since the lines seem to me to be blurry in the extreme, nor to worry about the generic use of the term "Greek mythology".

The Greek word for legend - θρύλος - has the adjectival form "θρυλικός", which can mean "heroic".  So, if I were inclined to be pedantic over the term in the context of the Greek traditional corpus, I might tend to refer to stories regarding heroes as legends and those regarding deities or spirits as myths.  But that will still leave an awful lot that can be categorised as either - and I think the Greeks would tend to refer to their stories generally as "μυθολογία" ("mythology").  It is their native terminology, after all, so that's good enough for me.

Earthdragon
On 3/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, DavidMcCann said:

I will certainly celebrate it as a festival of Gaia, with offerings and a hymn.

Hi David,

That sounds interesting, what sort of hymn do you use? Will it be a solitary celebration or with others?

Best

ED

Birdie

I don’t really celebrate but I acknowledge the turning of the wheel. I take as a time to spur into action in the garden 

• Like 2

Moonsmith

Hello Birdie,

21 hours ago, Birdie said:

I take as a time to spur into action in the garden 

So do I, bugger it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh well, let the weed murdering commence.

• Haha 1

Namneerg

Celebrate Ostera, the Vernal Equinox, at the Temple of Goddess Spirituality dedicated to Sekhmet in Cactus Springs NV. Thursday March 21, 2019. Pot Luck feast in the Pavilion at 7:00 PM, Ritual in the Temple at 8:00 PM.If you cannot make it in person, then you can still celebrate with us while watching the "Ostera at Sekhmet Temple 2019" video on the Sekhmet Temple Channel on You Tube;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7J-obaD8BiuBApSrXMfnEQ

We plan for this channel will become an essential fundraiser for the Temple.In order to accomplish this we need to reach certain subscription and viewing levels to qualify for advertising dollars, So please View our videos (repeatedly if possible), Subscribe to our Channel, and Share with your friends. Blessed Be!

• Like 1

Ellinas
On 3/18/2019 at 4:03 PM, Birdie said:

I don’t really celebrate but I acknowledge the turning of the wheel. I take as a time to spur into action in the garden 

On 3/19/2019 at 1:48 PM, Moonsmith said:

Hello Birdie,

So do I, bugger it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh well, let the weed murdering commence.

Mrs E has just threatened me with the lawnmower.

I should, perhaps, clarify.  She cut my hair last weekend - so the threat is to get me to use the lawnmower to cut the grass, rather than to become its' victim.

Spring?  Meh...

• Haha 1

Birdie

Mrs E sounds like a formidable force.

Moonsmith

I have just learned that the Vernal Equinoctial full moon is the "Worm Moon".

I think I'm enjoying that.

• Like 2

Badger Bob

Surely a worm moon is something you do to the nurse just after saying "can you get rid of this?" .

• Haha 1

Ellinas

That's a mental image I'm never going to get out of my mind now.

:o_yikes:

Earthdragon
1 hour ago, Ellinas said:

That's a mental image I'm never going to get out of my mind now.

:o_yikes:

Mate I recommend Hypno on this. Hit it hard and hit it quick. Reprogram this into fluffy bunnies or watching the surf or summat...(oops a bit of my old midlands slang re-emerging there ; never mind!)

Good look 😉

Edited by Earthdragon

Ellinas

I think a cricket bat or something similar might be quicker... :coz_spat:

Earthdragon

That would be a rather headachy use of straiffe lol

ED

Earthdragon

On the subject of the equinox , the days are lengthening perceptively faster up here right now. We had new lambs on the croft nextdoor yesterday, three shiny black ravens chased each other over the ruined house near us (it had to be three didn't it?!). The surf has been glittering in the sun - yes I can feel the new life through animals and elements and it's a wonderful time.

Our ritual last Wednesday was great. Three groups of us in different locations holding the same ritual simultaneously 🙂

• Like 1

Moonsmith
3 hours ago, Earthdragon said:

Three groups of us in different locations holding the same ritual simultaneously 🙂

That is a great idea.

• Thanks 1

Badger Bob

Sounds good, did the three groups keep in physical contact Earthdragon?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this