Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Haylee Linton
The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Moonsmith

Notre-dame

Moonsmith

What have we lost in the partial destruction of this Roman Catholic building in France?

This is deliberately placed here and not in either General Paganism or Other Religions.

How much have all spiritual people and spiritualities in general lost?

Ad from Google

Veggie dancer

Something That struck me was the fact I read that about 13,000 trees were felled for its construction most of them oaks. The biggest of which were of a size we just don't see any more. They would have been 400 year old trees at the time of construction so sprouted from the ground in the 7th century. 

I feel that old wood like that can give you a kind of connection to the past.

The structure was apparently nicknamed the forest. 

I have a theory that the arched style of cathedral roofs is mimicking the look of looking up at trees.

theres no doubt that it was a stunning piece if architecture mater what religion it was created in honour of (and let's face it who knows what the religion really was like that the likes of stone henge was created for) we can marvel at the magnificence and admire the artistry and skill of our ancestors.

• Like 1

Reverend Nick

I was there this time last year - we went to see Monteverdi's 1610 Vespers - the spatial sound the building created was amazing - you could never get the same listening to a CD even though there are several excellent ones. Interestingly enough, it's the only place Parisians actually queue nicely for.  

It was very sad to see the fire on You Tube  - and I am pleased that much has been saved. I was even more pleased that the Paris Fire authority ignored Mr Trump's exhortation to fly a water tanker aircraft over it. Apparently, it's an expensive and largely ineffectual  process. regardless of whether you are religiously inclined or not - it's a marvellous place which you might say belongs to everyone. Two minds about whether the millionaire donors are being entirely altruistic - they probably want their name up in the nave - but I suppose that's how the church was built in the first place. Two minds, as well, about asking a load of architects to redesign the spire - just copy the old one.

• Like 4

Ellinas

I have lost nothing.

Western culture has lost works of art.

No-one has lost a life.  All else is replaceable.

Stonehugger
On 4/17/2019 at 2:15 PM, Veggie dancer said:

I have a theory that the arched style of cathedral roofs is mimicking the look of looking up at trees.

I've heard that somewhere too. I tried googling it and found  https://www.theparkstrust.com/parks/tree-cathedral  by the way 🙂

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this