Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Candle Witchling

Hi Everyone :)

Candle Witchling

Hi All! 

I've been lurking around the forums and blogs for a couple of days and thought it was about time to say hello :) 

It's nice to finally find a pagan forum that's actually active as it seems to me recently that a lot of the community websites seem to be going the way of dodo! (pagan federation UK for example) 

Anyway,  just a bit about me -  I have been a pagan for quite a long time now with fascination for many pantheon,  though only recently discovering my love for the Greek pantheon and goddess Hecate. 

I am a witch as well and though I'm a part of a coven I thought it would be nice to meet more people and pagans and chat and exchange ideas and make some new friends :) 

Anyway,  not sure what else to add.  Hope you all have a great day and bright blessings to all :) 

Ad from Google

Ember Autumn Rose

Welcome 🙂 I hope you've had a nice day too

Stonehugger

Welcome @Candle Witchling -- Nice name! You have a great day too 🙂

Ellinas

Welcome.

Greek, eh...?

Γειάσου.

Candle Witchling

Thank you all :) 

@Stonehugger -  thank you,  it's an old one that stuck.  Nice name too! 

@Ellinas - thank you.  I am only just starting with the Greek alphabet so won't even attempt to reply in that 😉 I take it you are interested in Greek paganism / hellenismos?  Do you maybe have any good book recommendations?  I'm only just starting to catch up on the Greek classics, odes,  hymns etc. 

Snufkin

Hi, and welcome to the site.

Ellinas

Evening.

Hellenismos?  No.  That tends to be quite staunchly reconstructionist.  I see no purpose in reconstructionism.  To that extent, I believe the past is best left where it is - society has moved on.  The thought processes, philosophies, mythology, however - that is another matter.  So, yes to Greek paganism - but only as it may be re-worked for the contemporary world.

Not that I have any problem with those who take the reconstructionist approach - as long as they don't expect me to do the same.

As to books, provided you don't take his commentary too seriously, Graves Greek Myths is a perfectly readable digest.  Homer, of course.  Herodotus for an ancient view of history.  You may find some interesting stuff here.

The Greek alphabet is pretty straight forward, if you are interested, and I can give you a guide if you wish.  For an introduction to the modern version of the language, see here

Isil

Welcome! 

Candle Witchling

Thank you Ellinas for your reply. That was really helpful and I do appreciate it. I will definitely look into Herodotus and Graves as well, although I do know what you mean about taking his commentary with a grain of salt.

The website you provided looks very useful, so many thanks again.

I completely get your view as to not being staunchly reconstructionist, although for me, i just love everything about history so even if I wouldn't necessarily advocate worshipping in the same way the ancient Greeks did, I still find it very fascinating learning about all we know of their religious practices. I heard Robert Burket's Greek Religion is really good for this so that's another one on my reading list.

And as to the filoglosia website - wonderful, thank you. I do have a little experience learning foreign alphabets as I did Russian for a year or two as a kid, but having a nice neatly organized study material like this definitely helps!

Veggie dancer

Hi and welcome from me too 😀

Ellinas

It also occurred to me after I posted my last that you mentioned Hekate.  These might interest you:

Hekate: Liminal Rights

Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads

Hekate: Her Sacred Fires

I have the first two of these, but have not yet got around to obtaining the third.

This link is quite fun and might also be of interest to you.  An alternative and slightly less developed version of the same site is here.  I assume it's an older version, and have no idea why both exist.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.