Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Doretta Lowe
The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Scrabble

Am I pagan?

Scrabble

It is such a wide ranging term, pagan, I have an affinity to nature and feel happiest amongst the trees.  I am very aware of the changing seasons and would like to mark these changes in a meaningful way.  Should I follow a certain path or does this not matter?  How do I begin?  What are my first steps?  Am I pagan in my beliefs?

Edited by Scrabble
Auto correct.. Grrrr

Ad from Google

Earthdragon
3 hours ago, Scrabble said:

Should I follow a certain path or does this not matter?

Hello 😁

You are in an interesting position. Perhaps you could ask what your affinities mean to you and try to express them before you look more deeply into particular paths which you may or may not choose to follow in the future.

How do I begin? 

I'd say you began a long time ago given what you've already expressed on here 😃

What are my first steps?

As I mentioned above I would reflect on your feelings, the trees, the seasons. Try to formulate some expression of what you are seeking, how you intend to expand yourself, what you intend to connect with, what is important for you.

Local pagan groups should there some and books are next potential steps.

Am I pagan in my beliefs?

Paganism can be about belief or about a way of living, usually a combination.

What are your beliefs?

As for myself. I don't often refer to myself as pagan. I am a person who practises Druidism. Beliefs are fluid as their interpretation.

Best of luck in your journey. Stick around and let us know how things go!

ED

Moonsmith

Whatever else you do please do not try to select a specific path at this stage.  Just be yourself - that is Pagan enough and for many people that is enough for their whole lives.  They are happy with their own thinking. 

Are you a Pagan?  Well I have come to the conclusion that:

- No two people believe exactly the same thing even if they share a group or path.

May I recommend this book.

- The only thing that Pagans really have in common is a desire to take responsibility for their own spirituality [no priests, gurus or saviours] and they choose to identify as Pagan. 

If after a while you find that your own thinking is sufficiently like one of the groups with a name then you might think of being one of those but even then you do not have to "join" anything.  I am a Druid but I am the founder and sole member of my "order."  I was just a Pagan for thirty years before I somewhat reluctantly called myself a Druid.  I spent six years with a Druidic tribe before admitting that I thought sufficiently like them to adopt the name.

Please just be yourself.  It is hard to accept but your beliefs are just as valid as a Pope, a Mullah, A Rabbi or an Archbishop.  That can be hard to accept but no one knows an absolute truth, there isn't one 🙂 . Have confidence in your own thinking.

I would say "welcome to Paganism" but I also think you've been Pagan all your life.

Come on in. [We aren't all Druids!!!!!!]

Edited by Moonsmith

Ellinas

As the second druid bloke above pointed out, we're not all druids...  Non druid here.

Are we all pagans here?  What is a pagan?  For me, it's just a term of convenience - something that people who've never thought about what it means think they know what it means and assume enough to stop me having to make lengthy explanations, even though they have no idea what, if anything, it means it my case.  Also, most people would just glaze over were I to tell them that I'm a non-reconstuctionist Hellene - itself a term I've made up for my own purposes.

Are you a pagan?  Depends.  What does it mean to you?  I'm pretty certain there is no comprehensive definition, so you are free to define yourself or not as you see fit.

As to whether your beliefs are pagan - maybe, maybe not.  What are they and do they accord with your understanding of the term "pagan".  Doesn't matter either way, though.  More important that you believe what you believe than what label is put on it.

DavidMcCann

The term pagan was originally Christian slang for anyone who wasn't a Christian, Jew, or atheist — that provides for a lot of beliefs! I'd say that anyone who believes that the world is meaningful and life in it is worth living is a pagan. You sound like a non-denominational druid, if you want to be specific and if that description makes any sense.

What to do? Observe the lunations and the stations of the sun. Get out to wild places, keeping a lookout for omens and making offerings of food for wildlife. My practice is not so nature-based and I'm sure the resident druids here can give more advice.

Roseora
On 7/22/2019 at 10:26 PM, Ellinas said:

As the second druid bloke above pointed out, we're not all druids...  Non druid here.

Are we all pagans here?  What is a pagan?  For me, it's just a term of convenience - something that people who've never thought about what it means think they know what it means and assume enough to stop me having to make lengthy explanations, even though they have no idea what, if anything, it means it my case.  Also, most people would just glaze over were I to tell them that I'm a non-reconstuctionist Hellene - itself a term I've made up for my own purposes.

Are you a pagan?  Depends.  What does it mean to you?  I'm pretty certain there is no comprehensive definition, so you are free to define yourself or not as you see fit.

As to whether your beliefs are pagan - maybe, maybe not.  What are they and do they accord with your understanding of the term "pagan".  Doesn't matter either way, though.  More important that you believe what you believe than what label is put on it.

This pretty much sums it up, but I just wanted to answer your questions directly.

What path you choose doesn’t matter, unless if matters to you. If you feel an affinity towards a certain path then that’s great, but me and probably a lot of others haven’t found yet, or don’t want, a specific label on our faith. It’s a very peronal thing; entirely up to you.

First steps? None specifically, but I would highly reccomend reading up on some rituals and meditation that you might enjoy or find peace and comfort in, these are a huge part of many peoples practice. Find what works for you; you don’t have to have lots of candles and herbs and do magick, but you can if you want to, or you can just experiment with the practices of different paths until you figure out how you wnt to practice.

Ideas; 

Find a nice notebook and make a ‘book of shadows’; note down your thoughts, experiences, any information you find important. Draw, scribble, press flowers, write spells, whatever. It’s your book.

Find a cushion, get some incence or scented candle and try meditation. I find it most peaceful to do outside on a warm evening, looking at the moon. 🙂 Maybe you could meditate under your favourite trees? Take a drink, snack and get comfy, if you enjoy meditation you might be there a while.

Read about the wiccan sabbats; they mark the seasons. Samhain, yule, ect. To a lot of people these are a way of acknowledging the seasons. 

If you live in a large city, it’s possible there’s a coven near you, if you want to. I personally haven’t had the best experiences with them being few and far between, and often having a very specific set of collective beliefs and not much leeway for disagreement, but some people find a great community and friends this way.

No matter what steps you take, or if you choose to call yourself pagan, remember this; Only you can define who you are. Only you can decide what you believe. Only you can know if you are pagan or not, or what path to follow. The answer is in your heart and mind, but it can be hard to figure it out sometimes. Good luck, and have a nice night. 🙂