Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
CeeCee69

Book recommendations please?

CeeCee69

Hi, 

A wide question I know but what would be your top 3 book recommendations? 

Thanks, 

Ad from Google

Stonehugger

A very wide question! I very often re-read Alice in Wonderland and also the Hunting of the Snark. I still find new bits of mathematics, corporate strategy, and of course the entertainment value. I imagine most people will have more intellectual answers for you 🙂

Ellinas

In general terms:

1. The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran;
  2. Anything by HP Lovecraft (a bit of a cheat that one, but they are, mostly, short stories; if I had to choose one, The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath);
  3. Greek Myths, Robert Graves (the text rather than the notes).

CeeCee69

I had read on here that Llewllyn is a publisher that you should avoid. Although I’m going to purchase Thorn Mooney’s book tomorrow. 

I was thinking about Witchcraft and Wiccan books. Although I am partial to Greek Mythology 😁

Ellinas

Regarding Wicca and Witchcraft, I am not the person to answer.  Regarding Llewellyn, I've seen similar comments here and elsewhere, but can neither confirm or deny the value(lessness) of that publisher.

However, don't underestimate the use of imaginative fiction.  Some interesting ideas can be hidden in the meanderings of the minds of possibly unsuspecting authors - and maybe better for being more spontaneous than writers setting out to account for beliefs and practices..

Freydis

Re Llewellyn my recommendation would be to teat with caution.  There's the odd good thing there, but an awful lot of rubbish along with it.

I'd recommend anything by Ron Hutton.  If you're interested in the witchcraft and Wicca I'd start with The Triumph of the Moon.

CeeCee69

Thank you, I’ve purchased triumph of the moon 

Moonsmith
On 9/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, Freydis said:

I'd recommend anything by Ron Hutton.  If you're interested in the witchcraft and Wicca I'd start with The Triumph of the Moon.

Bloody Hell Freydis!!!!!!     🙂

CC book an appointment with your optician.  It looks like an average paperback until you open it then you realise you've bought a tome.  It's written in a tiny font.

Freydis and I are two of the few people who own this book and who have read it cover to cover.  There must be thousands of part read copies out there.

Also - it is very little to do with Wiccan practice.  It is an academic search through the pages of history in an attempt to find British witches.  While he didn't find any until the 1950's when he did find them he loved them.

Are you looking for Wiccan practice?

Are you in a coven or solo? 

Ember Autumn Rose
14 hours ago, Moonsmith said:

There must be thousands of part read copies out there.

Guilty 😂

CeeCee69

I’m just starting to learn, I want to read and learn before I say I’m solitary or join a coven. I think In order show respect I need to learn and not just jump in the deep end. I am looking at witchcraft, and Wicca so far.

Im away for the weekend and will take Triumph of the Moon with me 😁

Moonsmith

Good luck.

If you are interested in a simple layout of solo witchcraft try Marion Green's Witch Alone.  Real 101 but not afraid to use the appropriate language.  Some cheap second hand copies plus Kindle.

You talk of respect well, unlike several "Intro to Wicca" books that I know of, Green's book does not contain any oathbound material. 

I am not Wiccan and I know that much of the oathbound material is available on the web anyway but I would never reference it, never mind use it. 

Travel well.

Edited by Moonsmith
+ link

Earthdragon

How is the reading going CeeCee?

Rosa

As much as I’d like to I don’t think I could choose 3 books. I moved house recently and there were many comments about the boxes of books!
I have to agree with Ellinas about Khalil Gibran, it taught me such a lot about life and myself, always a good start whichever path we follow eventually.

Ellinas

Gibran wrote quite a bit of other stuff as well, which is worth a read.

And you might like Paolo Coelho, though I find some of his writings better than other.  "Manuscript Found In Accra" I would probably have liked better if I had not read Gibran's "The Prophet", which makes Coelho's version seem, to me at least, like a weaker version of the same concept.

Rosa

I’ve read some of his work and enjoyed it.
I also read Mutant Message From Down Under by Marlo Morgan which was excellent and would recommend it to anyone even though it’s basically about a woman’s journey.

Ellinas

Woman's journey...man's journey... a journey's still a journey...

Rosa

Precisely.