Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
UK Pagan

[A Cauldron Full of Stars] Bats, again

UK Pagan

My daughter joined my husband and me in bed during the wee hours.  Something had scared her terribly.  Unless a child is distraught, we simply cuddle them up between us and go back to sleep.  We generally find that talking can wait until morning, and we all go back to sleep.

The talk this morning revealed that the little one heard strange, scary shrieks outside in the dark. I'd heard them too. After a moment of confusion, I'd placed the sound: bats. They have come back to our neighborhood after a long absence.  They're native, and like bees, they are often very sensitive to pesticides, so their numbers have been declining.  A few years ago, you wouldn't have seen a bat or a healthy bee here.  I'm absolutely delighted to have both in our little yard this summer.

Today, to combat fear, we have been watching bat videos on YouTube.  My daughter is learning that bats aren't so scary. They can be cute and cuddly.  She's getting comfortable with their noises, and learning about their habits, and she's ready to share the neighborhood with them, just as she did with bees earlier in the spring.

Fear is toxic.  I am constantly trying to remind myself that it is also often a choice.  I'm afraid of a number of things, and I've been working on it.  Learning about what scares us can be a powerful and effective tool for healing, growth, and change, no matter what we find frightening.  It's up to us to address our fears. We can ask for help, accept it when it's offered, but ultimately, we must start that journey by being curious enough to doubt our fears.

View the full article

Ad from Google