Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Honestly dont know were start

TheWolfMoon

Me and my partner don't know were to start , me am mostly Norse  my partner don't believe in Gods  but is interested in paganism . he ask me how we start being pagan  my mind gone blank . so if your new to all this how do you start off ?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Moonsmith
Posted (edited)

Relax😄 You’ve already started!

First and foremost being Pagan isn’t like being a member of a church congregation.  It is a deeply personal and very wide group of beliefs.

The important thing is to spend some time sorting out what you REALLY believe.  Don’t worry about what other people believe or what is right to believe.  A huge number of Christians including priests do not believe in the main statements of their religion but for some reason that I don’t really understand they just keep going.  Pagans do not need to do that, they believe what they believe and that is enough.

If your partner is atheist don’t worry.  There are plenty of atheist Pagans.  Their beliefs seem to be based on spirituality and caring rather than reverence for gods.  Of course it is reasonable for your partner to ask themselves why they think they might be Pagan at all.

I don’t know how many times we’ve said here - sort out your own beliefs before you look for other people who believe something similar.  Many many of us are out on our own and not part of any group - just on our own.

There is no need to worry about what to do either.  Just do whatever comes to mind as you think about what you believe.  

If you really believe that you are Pagan then you are; it’s as simple as that.  There is no entrance exam😄

You might also think this through and realise that you are not Pagan and that is perfectly OK too.  You could join a Viking reenactment group and enjoy the community and the costumes without concerning yourself with belief at all.

Whatever you think, the very best of luck.

Pat.

Edited by Moonsmith
Stonehugger

For me, it was simply a sense that there was more going on in my surroundings than I could put my finger on. The first time was at a stone circle but these days it's just as likely to be where boulders, trees and fast-flowing water are all in close proximity. For me personally, deities are useful models or metaphors but for others they're central to how they understand the world. There's no right answer. I steer clear of traditions that involve a sense of orthodoxy - the idea that a set of beliefs and/or actions makes someone a true follower of X and vice versa. But that's just me. Welcome to the valley 🙂

Earthdragon
9 hours ago, TheWolfMoon said:

Me and my partner don't know were to start , me am mostly Norse  my partner don't believe in Gods  but is interested in paganism . he ask me how we start being pagan  my mind gone blank . so if your new to all this how do you start off ?

You could start by setting aside ten minutes each day and asking for a connection with anything that, for you, is within paganism. It could be the presence of the gods/goddesses or the energy of a living being like a tree or a herb or the vibe that a piece of pagan poetry or music might bring up for you. Go with the flow and follow your instinct.

My teacher used to say "ask a question with truth in your heart and you will receive a true answer". 

The nack then is to listen and hear the answer(s). Some of them will come from yourself.

Keep checking in on the forum, it will be good to hear how things are going 🌞🌿

hedgerose

My advice would be to get out in the fresh air. Spend some time somewhere that makes you feel happy, at peace, or uplifted. Some people are drawn to high places, or beaches, or forests, or waterfalls, but whatever resonates with you is right for you.

It doesn't even matter if you try different environments and nothing seems to speak to you right away. Don't feel you have to do, or say, or feel anything in particular. Instead, just relax, listen to the wind, feel the sun, or the rain, and just be. Maybe moonlight, or stargazing fill you with awe? That is something else to explore. 

You are already on your path, it will reveal itself as you move along it. Good luck, and have fun with it!

• Like 2
Ellinas

All the above.

Perhaps, from my standpoint, take the time just to be still - or rather, just to "be".  The more you fill your mind with the busyness of business, the less likely it is you will get to realise what it is that resonates with you.

Also, take your time.  Most of us have been doing this pagan thing for a long time - and we've still not got to the end of it.  There are no deadlines.

You don't need rituals unless you really want them.  You don't need rules.  I would avoid anything that looks like doctrine.  I would seek for for what I believe but avoid any suggestion of faith.

So, stillness, patience.  Watch the shadows cast by the clouds and listen to the wind.  Let the thoughts come, accept them and work on them in due course.  Then just keep going in whichever direction this takes your mind.