Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Who are your deities?

Nettle

As a kind of continuation from the “daily ritual” thread I was wondering who your deities are? How you relate to them? And what they represent to you and your practice?

My patron deities are what I collectively term “the laughing gods”, or “the great fools”.

The energies within the laughing god tradition come from varied sources. Within most cultural pantheons/religions/mythos/fiction there will usually be found an archetypal fool energy/figure.

It is this universal fool energy/archetype that I tap into to gain awareness and inspiration.

The fool energy is representative of other closely aligned archetypes such as clown/jester/trickster/comedian/minstrel energies. But the fool energy is the most revered.

Such notable fools of renown include (and in no specific order):-

Sun Wu Kong (The Monkey King)

The Christ Spirit

Cegorach (The First Fool)

The Buddha spirit

Jove/Jupiter

So Tei (laughing Buddha)

Mercury

Rooster King (The feathered king)

Eris/Discordia

Maui

Baubos

Sheogorath (the Mad)

Janus of the gates

Loki

Prometheus

Tarot fool

“V”

Etc etc etc

Hence I am able to connect with the fool energy within a multitude of differing beliefs systems that I come into contact with. Kind of like an access code. I log into the particular belief system, locate the fool energy within such a system, and can then connect more deeply with that belief system - via my fool pass lol - to gain inspiration.

One thing though that I must point out is my disliking for dark fools such as dark clowns and Jesters (think - “IT” and killer clowns). These are twisted perversions masquerading as the sacred energies. Yes, I accept they are within the Imago Dei (humanities collective unconscious and now possibly “a-part” of the fool archetypal energy) and that the best way to tackle such things is to accept and integrate them into a whole (i.e. temperance). But I do find it troublesome to do so. I also find it difficult to accept Cenobites (I have met one of the hellish variety). Hahaha maybe they just need a little tickle to make them realise the error of their ways? Maybe I just need a little tickle??

Well that’s what rooster king has said to me previously! And I do have ways of accessing both manifestations (Cenobites of the hellish variety and killer clowns) via the fictional Drukhari. Which I have touched upon but not yet mastered fully. 

Anyway, enough of my divergence, what about your gods? You deities? 

• Like 2

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I am the ultimate monotheist.  You (and I) are integral with the unimaginable number of particles that are my single Deity.

We may yet discover that I have 3.5x10 to the power of 80 deities.  No truth is fixed forever thank goodness😄

My "god" is the unknown absolute consciousness that I consider dreamed us all into being, and which, maybe, we dream in turn.

My "gods" are the Greek pantheon, though with some emphasis on Hekate, Athena, Artemis, Zeus, Apolllo and Hermes.

I talk to them when it seems right to do so.  Occasionally, I get what may or may not be a reply.

The emphasis tends to be toward logic and philosophy.  That's the Hellenes for you...

I would hesitate to number Eris among the list of fools.  She is rather... unforgiving...

I seem to have become an atheist. That was never my plan, but here I am. For me, a deity is a very useful model - perhaps somewhere to hang my random thoughts with some hope of organising them - but not a being with a role, a personality, a set of habits etc., and not a collection of expectations about me. I certainly feel that a lot of things I encounter are part of something very much bigger and perhaps eternal but that's very abstract at present. Standing stones and, I think, ancient trees (or, more obviously, ancient woodlands) have immense wisdom. Maybe they carry manifestations of deity but that's not a view I hold at all strongly or formally or educatedly.

• Like 1

The Great Mother Goddess of the Tútha Dé, the Great Queen, Queen of the midnight skies. Morgana in the old tongue (and the more modern Welsh)

Dagda - with the club and cauldron.

Lugh - with the spear of discernment 

The Great Mother's Golden Child - the fulfillment of the cycle.

Manannan - master of the sea and keeper of the ways between the worlds.

Airmid - healer and keeper of the herbs

Ogma - sun faced keeper of symbols

Brigid - maiden of the spring and Queen of Ireland

Behind , beneath and within the Goddess is the darkness and the flow of the cycle

Pervading all is the ground of being - that is both empty and fuller than the mind can comprehend.

Edited by Earthdragon

4 hours ago, Stonehugger said:

I seem to have become an atheist. That was never my plan, but here I am.

Something that I only realised once I arrived here in the Valley is just how spiritual the atheists here tend to be.

i sometimes have to explain that to be Pantheistic is not to be atheist!

• Like 1

polytheism for me, my favourite is LOKI lol

On 10/22/2021 at 11:53 AM, Nettle said:

One thing though that I must point out is my disliking for dark fools such as dark clowns and Jesters (think - “IT” and killer clowns). These are twisted perversions masquerading as the sacred energies. Yes, I accept they are within the Imago Dei (humanities collective unconscious and now possibly “a-part” of the fool archetypal energy) and that the best way to tackle such things is to accept and integrate them into a whole (i.e. temperance). But I do find it troublesome to do so. I also find it difficult to accept Cenobites (I have met one of the hellish variety). Hahaha maybe they just need a little tickle to make them realise the error of their ways? Maybe I just need a little tickle??

Well that’s what rooster king has said to me previously! And I do have ways of accessing both manifestations (Cenobites of the hellish variety and killer clowns) via the fictional Drukhari. Which I have touched upon but not yet mastered fully. 

Anyway, enough of my divergence, what about your gods? You deities? 

Edited by Veggie dancer
Baby pressing buttons
  • Haha 1

Sorry my baby quoted you and I can’t seem to delete the quote of the entire post 🤣 

anyway… 

you might enjoy the part the fool plays in the epic fantasy series Tigana. If you like that kind of thing.

I don’t exactly believe in deities as such. I think they come from  our minds. Archetypes, ways of identify or characterising the spirit/ magic/ life or whatever it is we sense around us. Ways our minds try to explain the unexplainable to us??? Not sure. But the gods I like are Pan, the Green man, Brigit. 

4 hours ago, Veggie dancer said:

my baby quoted you

🤣 🤣 🤣

"Ways our minds try to explain the unexplainable to us???" - That works for me.

Edited by Stonehugger

44 minutes ago, Stonehugger said:

"Ways our minds try to explain the unexplainable to us??

Thanks SH.

Nothing to do with OP but you have made me think - within our own universes is anything inexplicable.  I wonder if we ever abandon all attempts to explain a particular phenomenon.  Don’t we always discover or create some sort of explanation albeit with very varying degrees of confidence.

Sorry for the diversion.  Just wanted to appreciate the thinking!

6 hours ago, Moonsmith said:

"Ways our minds try to explain the unexplainable to us??

I was quoting @Veggie dancer but made a hash of it 🙂

But, yes, I do think that we use strategies to make sense of things that are, to us here and now, inexplicable. That's not about whether anything is in principle permanently inexplicable. It's about me making sense of the here and now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ellinas said:

Is there, perhaps, a certain irony in not knowing whether anything is inexplicable?

That’s why I find science so exciting.  It knows that all its explanations are inadequate.  I’ve been trying to find out when the last scientific law was pronounced.  I don’t think there have been any since the 19th century. Whatever it was has probably been shown to be wrong or incomplete by now.  

Of course that is why metaphysics is fun too.  It’s like theoretical physics but without the waste paper basket😄

The thought has just occurred to me that both archeology and metaphysics have the same response to the inexplicable - God did it.

I may be a theist but I still say, screw the inscrutable, probe the improbable and f the ineffable.  My Deity can take it.  Bring it on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1